Is this normal? (teacher question)

At DD's information day the teacher had a sign up sheet for parents willing to help out. i signed up thinking, sure i can help do parties or come read or i dunno, whatever. DD came home today with a giant bag (im talking almost as big as her) of laminated stuff with a note asking if i would cutting it out. Now, i don't mind...its easy stuff i'm doing while watching TV...and i'm glad to help. but it just seems odd.

anyway, i was just curious if this is something teachers do on a regular basis.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 11:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yep. I've signed up specifically to help with stuff I can do at home, and gotten nothing. I'm not a good fit in a classroom, I just don't have the patience for it. But, I'm more than happy to cut and paste at home all day long, if that's what I can do to help the class.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I've done stuff like that, especially during the kindergarten years. One year the parents took turns shopping for the classroom snacks (teachers gave a list for the particular week) and washing the rest time towels.

Now I just get roped into doing garden and environmental stuff or driving field trips.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I have signed up for the Halloween, Christmas an valentines day parties but that's it. those are things I can easily take the baby to
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• The preschool my kids went to had a checklist for how you could help out- it included everything from cutting stuff out at home to weekly volunteering to monetary donations.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• yep. I've helped by doing stuff from home. If you put your name down, they will utilize your offer to help.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I have done that lots of times but the teacher usually has asked if I would mind doing this or that before sending stuff home. lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• i did that when the girls went ot headstart. the teachers they got for school, seemed to already know who was who and asked others for help instead of me.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Seems kind of odd that the teacher didn't ask you before sending home a big project like that.

I signed up, but I said passing out ppunch and cupcakes at class parties probably wouldn't be a good fit for me--I feel like a klutzy elephant in ruffles trying to move around among all those small kids and tiny tables and chairs, even without sugar in its various forms to spill along the way--and I suppose cutting and pasting at home wouldn't work out well for me, either. The teacher did ask if I'd come in and bring my service dog, a braille book, etc, when the kindergarten classes do a unit on the five senses next month.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I would not have asked any of my parents to do all of that if they hadn't signed up for it specifically.... No.

She probably sees you with a lot of great potential for hard work this year!!! Good luck.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 11:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2013