And the Teacher strikes begin........*sigh* *facepalm*

Just read a local news article. Two school districts are now facing teacher strikes, just days before school starts.

I'm all for teachers getting more pay and fewer kids. I'll be the first to say that I think teachers are under paid, over worked and under appreciated. I'm not arguing that at all.

I'm very frustrated and annoyed that teachers go on strike EVERY YEAR over the same damn shit EVERY YEAR. I wish, just once, that the teachers and districts could hammer this crap out over the summer so that the kids stop suffering.

We go back to school Sept 4th.

Any guesses on how many, total, school districts will wind up with teacher strikes by the time school is supposed to start?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• It sucks, but I guess the teachers think it's the best way to get the parents' attention.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• So, here is one reason we, as teachers talk about striking. Here is what happened to me today. We just signed a new contract. In this contract it was supposedly negotiated that specialists(that's me) would not get 8 class days. I went to work this morning, the fist day back, and I get my schedule. I have 2 days with 8 classes. So much for following the contract. So I have been given the option to change my schedule, but I would then have to go to 4 different schools, and travel between schools during the day. So what do I hate more? Teaching 8 classes a day or traveling to 4 schools where I will have to carry what I need for all my classes every day? I choose the 8 class days. When districts won't negotiate in good faith, it forces teachers to do what we least want to do. No teacher WANTS to go on strike. Most of the time it is the only tool we have to force districts to treat us fairly. Just giving a peek at the other side.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• 12 is my guess.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Also, I'm not sure where you are, but where I am, in my 20 years as a teacher I have only heard about one time where a strike was threatened, and I have never been part of an actual strike. So, the teachers where I am don't go on strike every year.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• It's a last resort. I can only remember one teachers strike in my area... It happened after the teachers worked without a contract for 5 years. That was more than enough time for the district to try and work it out!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Teachers here haven't gone on strike and I've never even heard it threatened, at least in my lifetime. I have my teaching cert and while I was going to school I was well aware that it wasn't a fuel where I was ever going to strike it rich.

Answer by missanc at 6:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Thank you musicmaker, I KNEW there was more to the story than my parent perspective.

I live in Washington State. There are teacher strikes EVERY year around here. Sometimes it's the same schools 2-3 years in a row striking. A couple years ago my own district faced a teacher strike as it was a contract year and nothing could be settled until last minute. Granted, this district does EVERYTHING last minute. We didn't get the bell schedule/calendar until 2 weeks AFTER school started last year.

Seems like around here teacher strikes are the go-to when negotiations don't go the way the teacher's want it to. I doubt my observation is accurate, but it seems that way.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• agree
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2013