Mother kicked out of church for having an adult, lesbian daughter

Gay detective's mother booted from church

Ignoring the entire gay and/or gay marriage issue - is it right for a church to punish the mother (and other extended family members, going by the article) for not condemning the actions of another adult family member?  Should churches start throwing out anyone who refuses to turn their back on an adulterous family member who cheats on a spouse or sleeps with a married person?  Boot the mothers of all the people in prison if they don't stop talking to them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Love thy neighbor. Not IF or UNLESS. Just love thy neighbor.
    How very Christian of them.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Our grown children make choices for themsleves, I do not blame anyone for the actions of another adult. Kickeg a parent out of church because a child made a choice that does not conform to the belief of the church is very wrong. And we wonder why the churches get so much grief these days
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• "should churches start throwing out anyone who refuses to turn their back on an adulterous family member who cheats on a spouse or sleeps with a married person? "

If they did that NP, half of the Baptist/Christian churches would be gone....

just sayin....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:53 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• It is not the mother's fault. That her daughter is gay,
    The church is in the wrong.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 7:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I understand that they want the members of the church to uphold the beliefs of that church
    BUT
    no- this is not right.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:07 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I don't think churches should kick anyone out, but I'm surprised the mother (and other family members) still felt comfortable attending a church that obviously holds different beliefs than they do.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• This is why I dislike organized religion. I should not be punished for what you think are sins by the people I'm related to. First, if I don't agree it's a sin, I shouldn't be forced to condemn the person who did it. Second, whether I agree it's a sin or not, I'm not the one who's doing/living that life, so I should not be punished. We don't put the murderer's mother in prison when he kills someone, because she didn't do anything wrong. We don't convict the rapist's father of rape, because he didn't rape the woman. Yet, if you listen to some of these organized religious leaders, if your kid is gay, you should turn your back or face the church's wrath. It's stupid, and ridiculous.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

How very Christian of them.

this....

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• The hypocrisy astounds me...NOT!

• This just baffles me. Church is for sinners, and you're right what about the other adulterers, etc. if that's the stance they are going to take then others should also go. Oh but if they did that the Church would be empty including the Minister. These churches have doctrine that changes as the wind blows. Nothing steady, nothing steadfast. Thye also don't do anything to reach out, correct, then heal, all sinful behavior. I know the Catholic Church has Priests ( they are men after all and mistakes) that will allow those who shouldn't take communion take it and not say a word. That doesn't mean they should be banned from Church.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:09 AM on Aug. 27, 2013