Do you trust recipes that say "tastes just like"

or other words to that effect?

My mom had a bunch of those "top secret recipe" cookbooks from the guy that used to do the morning news shows in the 80's. They had the way to make all the restaurant stuff at home (Red Lobster biscuits, KFC's original recipe, etc). Once in a while, they came close. Most of the time, not really.

Now the in thing seems to be healthy recipes being pushed as "tastes just like (insert crappy junkfood here)". Do you go into them expecting them to live up to promises, or hope they're edible, or just avoid them completely?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:24 AM on Aug. 27, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I usually look for a rating system and reviews to help me decide if it's worth my time. I don't usually expect things to taste "just like", even if they are advertised that way.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I don't trust the healthy stuff that tastes like the crappy junk food. if it DOES taste like the junk food then how can it be that good for me ya know?
    I have made a couple of the restaurant meals, and it's hit or miss. I have an alfredo recipe from olive garden that is close, and I have a chicken dish from Outback that is close
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:32 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Not really.
    I tend to expand and add to suit our tastes so...
    I will say this, I have an Oreo recipe that is incredible. Cake cookie are much better than those little rock ones in the packages :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• sometimes...its all trial and error. my mom has those books and several are so good we dont bother w\ the real thing anymore (KFC coleslaw is right on). healthy ones are harder imo. ive tried sooooo many times to make cauliflower stand in for "unhealthy" foods and it just doesnt come anywhere close!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I generally go in expecting them to taste nothing like it, and allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if they do taste even remotely close. lol

Most of what I find, though, isn't healthy versions of something unhealthy - it's just a homemade version of something you get somewhere else. Like, I found one for Wendy's Frosty. It's actually not bad, but given the ingredients include chocolate milk, condensed milk and whipped cream, I'm sure it's not all that healthy.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I might try them, just because I'm curious or the recipe sounds good. I don't expect anything to truly taste just like something.

I have a recipe I use that's supposed to be a copycat of Olive Garden's gnocchi soup that's MUCH better than theirs is. I'm not a fan of OG.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I take claims like that with a grain of salt.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I made a copy-cat recipe of an Olive Garden soup... it tasted exactly like it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• usually no
    Sun.shine

Answer by Sun.shine at 1:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I've never tried any, but I wouldn't expect anything I made to taste just like something from a restaurant. The one I wish I could duplicate is the tartar sauce from McDonald's.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2013