How can I get my 3mth to stop biting while nursing?

My dd is teething and has started biting down on me and grinding her jaw back n forth causing me a lot of pain. Does anyone have a suggestion to stop this behavior?

rlambert

Asked by rlambert at 10:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son did this to me I would stick my finger between his mouth and my nipple to unlatch him and give him a rag or teething ring to chew on, after a bit I'd try again... after a few days he got the point.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had one daughter that never did stop biting until I quit nursing! I think for most children, the idea of unlatching and giving them something else to chew on works pretty well. It didn't work for me. I tried holding her nose until she would unlatch on her own ( took about 1 second). If I jumped from the shock of it - which usually happened because she would bite hard! - she would let go right away.
    Mindy-KidCentri

Answer by Mindy-KidCentri at 11:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My DD has been teething since she was 3 months old and she is now almost 6 months and has her 2 bottom teeth and has decided that she wants to use me as a chew toy...so guess what? She gets a bottle (of BM) during the day and still nurses at nite when she is too tired to know the difference. It hurt WAY too bad and I tried that finger thing and saying "NO" and all I got in return was screaming and crying and I refuse to make BFing and eating a negative experience. I would just or gasp and it would scare her and she would cry so I figured best to not make it a bad situation. I know people don't like this but its what works for us and she is still getting the nutrients. By the way, I don't think you can really break the habit, if they want to bite theyre gonna bite and theres no warning so just do whats best for you and your LO.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yes, you CAN break the habit! Three strikes. First bite, take baby off, say no bite, relatch. Repeat on the second bite. Third bite, end the feeding for five minutes.

Then repeat. Baby will get the idea because hunger is a great teacher.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2009