My daughter and I have lice. We have had it for like 3 weeks and I have try everything. My daughter had like over 50 live the first time. Please what can I do beside itch?

Supermom1281965

Asked by Supermom1281965 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• do you do comb throughs of the hair every day?

have you washed everything in hot water and put stuffed animals into bags and such?

do you know wehre you got them from?

***
    you may have to get persription stuff from the doctor if you have tried RID and whatnot and it's not working. We had to- and wehn we found out it came from the nieghbor kids- I made mine stay away from them for awhile
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• first of all google "how to get rid of lice". good tips you can find online
    lice shampoo (you can get that from CVS, target, walmart). most of them come in a kit. with a comb and everything.
    use that following directions regularly. some of them say to use it once or twice a week, but honestly when my sister got them from her school, she would use it everyday. they multiply like CRAZY!!
    change pillow case covers, bed sheets and blankets everyday. or atleast air them out in the sun for good 6-8 hours.
    vacuum your carpet and couches everyday. if she has stuffed toys, seal them in garbage bags for a week or two.
    the worst part is picking out the lice eggs from the hair. some even dont come off with comb. my mom would put on her reading glasses, sit where there was good sunlight/light and pick them out with her fingers. for hours!! don't forget to wash your hands thoroughly after that
    Sun.shine

Answer by Sun.shine at 12:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• *ingore my typos...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• my deepest sympathies.

my oldest daughter brought it home in May from school and i'm still struggling to get rid of it completely. we'll be good for a couple of weeks and then i'll find nits in their hair again. she too was infested the very first time, and it took 2 treatments to kill all the live bugs.

what you have to do is wash every soft thing in your house, toys included, and spray the mattresses, cars, couches, etc with lice killing spray (check your local drugstore or walmart) and it's also suggested to bag up soft toys, pillows, sheets that aren't going to be used for 2 weeks in a trash bag or one of those air tight bags.

as far as treating the hair, i do a home remedy. i pour listerine on their heads (careful not to get it in their eyes) and soak every strand of hair, then put a shower cap over it and leave it for atleast 2 hours. wash it out, then i comb their hair and check for nits, pulling out what (cont)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• i can see. then, if there are lots of nits, i soak their hair again in baby oil (or mayo) for another 1-2 hours with a shower cap. rinse, then comb again and this time i'll section their hair and search every strand for nits.

then, nightly, i repeat the process of combing, sectioning and pulling nits out. at the first sign of a nit i repeat the process before it becomes an infestation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Have you tried olive oil? I have really thick hair and when I was a kid it was super long, so I got lice a lot! Smothering them in olive oil worked the best for me. It may take a few tries and it make your hair greasy and gross for a while. But its worth it to get rid of those pests!! If you don't know how...you just slather you head in the oil and put a plastic bag over it, leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash it out with dish soap. Good luck!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• but basically, the listerine kills the live bugs, and the baby oil suffocates the nits so the glue they use to stick themselves to their hair somewhat dissolves and makes it easier to detach from the strand. the RID stuff did not work, but i only tried it that once when she was infested. i would assume for a mild case of it it probably would work.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• as for you, if you dont have anybody to treat your hair then you may need to find a hair specialist that will or, maybe dye your hair LOL! that would probably kill them. and maybe straighten or curl it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Ask your doctor or pharmacist for shampoo or treatment for them. After using it, bit by bit go through the hair and pull off the nits. Repeat as the med says to do so.

Answer by Bmat at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Get a metal lice comb. Every night have your daughter take a bath. Wash her hair. Give her a bunch of toys. Put a lot of thick conditioner in her hair. We used Pantene. Comb through a small bunch of hair. Each time wiping the comb on a paper towel. Look at it. Do you see black specs or actual bugs? If so, do that strand again. Go around the entire head this way, It can take hours. Do it until the head is clear. Do it again the next night. Every night until the head is clear for a week. Do the same to yourself in the shower. Just put conditioner on and comb through repeatedly. You can't really check yourself like you can your daughter, but if you do it every day, you should get them. It took us a LONG time to get rid of them completely. Leave one spec (egg) and they are back. Good luck!!! After this, use a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo and conditioner.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2013