Did you know?

In light of all the suffering in America, there is one state that is completely fiscally secure? Alaska!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, and they have Sarah Palin, too! Whew hoo! (-: I still think she rocks! Will she stand a chance in 2012?
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 10:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• well go figure.... and isnt sarah palin in taking care of things there? what do all her jealous haters think of that?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• did not know, interesting.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yes I know. I am lucky enough to live here. We are doing just fine up here.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Actually I thought I was reading an article today about their oil prices plummeting and them being in trouble... .

But now that oil prices are falling, the state's coffers are shrinking, too. Alaska gets as much as 90 percent of its revenue from oil, and it's facing a budget shortfall of up to $1.5 billion this fiscal year.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/02/tougher-times-f.html

Anonymous

• "Will she stand a chance in 2012?"

I hope not....

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Unlike other states that constantly spend every dime, Alaska puts the surplus in rainy day funds. Right now there is $5 billion dollars in these funds to help offset the lower oil prices. While job growth has slowed down it is still growing and has grown for 21 consecutive years. Instead of just spending the rainy day funds the state is already cutting back to prepare for the worst. Unlike California this state is not in debt and will not become that way because the government is proactive. Right now the state budget for fiscal year 2010 which starts on June 1st is $11.2 billion dollars which will be a 7% decrease from last year. If there is surplus it will not be used it will also go into the rainy day fund.
    Our economy here is not expected to grow much in the next year but it will remain stable.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Anon, don't believe everything you read, this state is not in a deficit. I know, I live and work here.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Go Sarah, you rock baby!
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Is that a socialist state? They get spread the wealth checks..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2009