Frustrated

missed an appointment and an important one my son needed to go for a reading test at his school today and I completely forgot I have been reminding him and myself for days but I am upset at my significant other because he is no help in helping remember appointments, he never even brings in the appointment cards from our vehicle, I have to remember everything, he wont write them down or look at the calander I do it all and I am happy to but I have ADHD and I cannot remember things for very long I am often scatter brained and ask him to help me with things like remembering things, we have a busy week ahead of us we have 3 appointments tomorrow and a birthday party on friday, is it so much to ask really when I do tell him we missed an appointment he looks at me and says "what the hell" and storms around the house and I give him an attitude back, he gets mad at me when I dont remember everything like packing the diaper bag bottles and wipes diapers if I forget anything he blames me ugh fed up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2013 in Relationships

• Grow up and learn what it takes to be a parent.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 4:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Mayb you should give him some other household responsibilities that way you don't feel so overwhelmed?
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• It sounds like your frustrated with yourself, and that's spilling over onto your significant other. It might be more constructive to work on a system that will help you remember things, since he's apparently not any better in that department than you feel you are.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Maybe you should make an appointment for a check up with your Dr. It is not normal to be so forgetful at a young age. You should buy sticky notes & make yourself notes & put them on the refrigerator or get a huge calander & mark appointments on that. But again, I think you should see a Dr. also.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• calendar*
    ILovemyPaulie

• Do you have a day planner? You can write everything down, take it everywhere with you, keep the planner in the same place after writing it, check it every night and morning. maybe this will help you remember appointments.

Also maybe keep a second calendar on the fridge.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I think white board could also be beneficial. Different colors for different kids/tasks/etc. Ultimately you're going to have to develop a system that isn't dependent upon your SO helping because that seems to be very stressful for you, not to mention not successful

You've gotten some good ideas here
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Put the calendar on the front door or in a prominent place. And get a good large one. Just make a habit of putting the dates on the calendar as soon as you get them.
    Put the diaper bag in the same place each time when you come home. Near the changing table would be my suggestion. Pot a list of what needs to be in the bag and check it each time. When you come in the house. Change or lay down baby and restock the diaper bag.
    If you use formula just load new ones with the right amount of formula ready to add water. Then your bag will always be ready.

My DD yells at DS when things are missing from the diaperbag because he picks up DGS from daycare. It is both of your responsibility but you can make it easier on both of you.

There are apps that can remind you on your phone and programs that remind you on your internet.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• As soon as you are told of an appt put it in your phone with reminders set for the day before, and an hour before. It works wonders with getting more organized
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• thanks everyone except the first comment, I am just so overwhelmed right now I have three sons and am in college, I am mostly mad at myself and I am putting a planner on my shopping list for sure and getting a new wipe board to put up for a reminder for us.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2013