Worried about my middle child :(

so she just started pre-k, according to her age she should be ready for kindergarten next year. however she had her first homework tonight and it was awful for her. the task was extremely simple. the numbers 1-5 were written in huge letters on the paper, and then, there were circles drawn out of order and they had to count the circles and write the number next to it, and it only went up to 5.

she drew her 3 horizontally instead of vertically. i showed her the paper she did at school today where she wrote 1-5 and wrote the 3 vertically only backwards. but she insisted that she could NOT do it even though she did today. she was in tears automatically, frustrated because she couldn't do it. finally we came up with a way that she could do it, but then she also drew her 2 and her 5 backwards.

when she writes her name, some of the letters are horizontal instead of vertical, and they are sometimes all out of place. her name is Savannah, and she'll write like SAVNNAHA in different spots on the paper. i am working with her and exercising as much patience as i possibly can because i dont want her to give up. She can spell her name, it's just writing it that's the problem.

she's the one that was a shaken baby, so i am extremely concerned that this is a sign that she will struggle with writing because of her brain injury. it might be something to do with her hand/eye coordination.

i dont really know what kind of doctor i should see about this, if any yet. maybe i should wait til the year progresses a little and see what her teacher says. her pediatrician referred her to a neurologist a few months ago but then we had this big insurance thing and it took months to fix. now we're back on insurance so i guess my first step is to go back to the neuro and get her EEG done, or go back to the ped. and tell him about this new issue?

fucking ex husband... i swear i could strangle him.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2013 in Special Needs

• I was going to say Neuro,so yeah. MRI too,I'd assume
    That's one i've never heard of,the writing horizontally
    Big hugs to your daughter. Damn your ex husband!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• pre K
    like 3 or 4 years old

sounds normal to me
    assume they have therapists at the school - OT, Speech etc
    after the kids (and teachers) get into school- a few weeks, the teachers will be testing away to see who needs extra help
    just try to encourage her as best you can, if she fails at one school task, help her through, not make a big deal out of mistakes, then bring out something she is really good at and have her do that too. build some confidence even if she is writing them all wrong- she will get it, sounds pretty young to worry...but with the shaken baby thing- natural to worry

but mine is moderate autism, and could not do that at that age, so what do i know
    school starts sept 3rd here, i will be pulling my hair out, as she will be in first grade and it is going to be WAY over her head
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Neuro and perhaps even be tested for dyslexia. Poor baby!
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• 4 and a half, she'll be 5 in december.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• btw it's not a public school it's a private school that offers a free pre-k program so they dont offer therapists, but im thinking if the teacher sees an issue she might be able to recommend resources for me.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I'm sorry. I don't have any experience with this or any good advice, but your rage at your ex is completely understandable. Hell, I'd like to shake the shit out of him, just on principle!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I was thinking dyslexia too. If she doesn't get help this year, she should next year in public school, assuming she's going to public school.

Take some deep breaths, and if you're BOTH getting frustrated by the assignment, go do something else until you're both calm again. I remember asking for math help in school. I still struggle with general, basic math. My dad would get so frustrated with me not getting what I was supposed to do, that doing anything school related with him was torture.

Take the Shaken Baby Syndrome out of the equation and it sounds like she's a normal 4-5 year old learning something new. Add that into the mix and I just don't know. Keep on top of it, and keep communication open with the teacher.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• if teacher been doing this for a few years, give your baby a chance to get into the swing of things and ask teacher for her advice on if yours has issues that need addressing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Take the Shaken Baby Syndrome out of the equation and it sounds like she's a normal 4-5 year old learning something new

exactly, and that's one of the hardest things, is not knowing whether there is a problem or it's just HER. right now she's sitting next to me playing Peppa Pig on my kindle just fine. she can play almost any app just fine and that requires hand eye coordination. she can color and draw. you can't tell she was shaken just by looking at her. so its hard to know if the writing issue is just perhaps she's slow at learning it or an issue with her brain. she did everything they said she couldn't do though... she walked before she turned 1, she talked (but it wasn't until she was almost 2)... maybe it will just take her longer.

tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• There is no way to tell if she has dyslexia yet because of her age. Honestly, she does sound like a typically 4 year old. If you are concerned I would definitely take her to a neuro doctor since she has a brain injury to be on the safe side. As far as homework goes, I am not sure why she even has homework for pre-k. The rule of thumb is 10 minutes per grade level. So, Kindergarten would have 5-10 minutes, 1st would have 10 minutes, 2nd would have 20 minutes and so on. If it is taking for than 5 minutes I would do breaks in between. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2013