Support Kids or collection place for past due child support

Has anyone ever used a company to help collect child support from a deadbeat dad?

I'm not sure if I should try one of these companies or not. My ex owes $48,500.00 in back support. I figured if the company takes a certain percent - it would most likely be the amount the state charged in interest anyhow. The state did fine him in March 2013, he paid weekly for a month. I'm assuming he quit his job. Before then the last support payment was March 2010.

The kids are 14 and 13 years old and into sports, band, etc. I cannot afford all the bills on my own anymore. Needless the stay in increase in fuel, food, utilities, etc.

The kids are old enough to make decisions about visitation - and I've heard at this point he's already considered to have abandoned them.

Just asking for some feedback if anyone has a success or horror stories from these companies.

Thanks =)

What company did you use? Good or Ban

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• I've never used one, and honestly, I wouldn't. If the courts can't make my ex pay, then no company is going to have the leverage needed to make him do it. But if you do, good luck to you. I would definitely do some serious looking to make sure they aren't a scam, too, before you use any of them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I've heard that with the state (Texas) that if your not on government assistance - your file is at the bottom of the pile.
    The states not spending money in you, so they don't care to help you get money. They're just interested in recouping the money they have to give out.
    So, I'm not sure what other options I'd have.
    The company I looked at says it has an A rating with The Better Business Bureau.

Any other suggestions?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

• I've always worked threw the courts to get my child support that is owed. I've never heard of hiring a company to collect child support!? Have you contacted them? I would be asking if they work with the state! And how they work and what's involved ... Good luck I would personally be filing orders threw the child support office
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2013

I don't know how it works in Texas, I'm in Florida. But I've always been able to simply file a motion for contempt, get a hearing scheduled, go in and prove to the judge he's not paying (easy to do as they pull the records since it's paid through the State Disbursement Unit), and the judge holds him in contempt. But like I said, he still doesn't pay, so I wouldn't go with a company, because I just don't think they'd have something that would make him pay that the courts don't have.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• The state of Texas says they can not find him. This company is more if a locator service and then enforces the child support orders.
    If he quits that job, they'll locate him again & again. Because the company gets a percent of what they collect, they want to find him and collect from him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2013