First day of 1st grade. Should I wait for the bell or leave right away?

My son is very nervous for his first day of first grade tomorrow. I'm expecting that he will cry. I'm planning on helping him find his teacher and the line he needs to stand in (fyi I will drive him every day since we live too close to take the bus).. so my question is should I wait there with him until the bell rings to go inside? Or show him where he needs to go and then leave right away? I was thinking I should leave right away since it may be harder for him if I'm there? I'm not sure! What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Aug. 28, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Will he know anyone there? Sometimes they surprise us and find a friend immediately and don't even notice mom is gone.

I seem to recall that when ours started kindergarten, the parents could only go as far as the gate and we were told to get going right away.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• What does HE want?

I know my daughter, last year, wanted me by her side for the first couple of months of school. By the end of the year though she wanted me to stay home and she walk herself to school.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:38 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I would take him to where he needs to be. If that line is outside , I would walk a little away but stay and keep my eyes on him until he entered the school. Ours lined up in the cafeteria. If that is the case I would stay in the cafeteria with him until a teacher came to get his class and take them, the first day. After that he would know so drop and go.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• My daughter just started kindergarten. The teacher made a big deal at the open house to tell parents not to hang around. She said the drama not only made it hard for the upset one, it also tended to spark more upset in other kids around as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:52 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• At our school, all the parents stay in the school yard until the kids walk in. If you left, he would feel bad being the only one without a parent. See what the other parents do. At our school, the first day is a big deal with everyone taking photos.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I would find out what kind of policy the school has it (if they have one), what he wants, and what other parents do. If the three conflict, I'd try to compromise somehow - unless he wants you to go, and then you should go.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2013