Ques. about Raccoons that aren't afraid of people

This morning a raccoon was in my yard. Luckily my dog was not out w/ me at the time. I yelled at it to get but the darn thing kept trying to come back in the yard. I had to keep yelling at it & hitting the ground in front of me w/ a broom. It finally left, but not since it really didn't seem to be too afraid of me, it got me thinking. Do you think it could have been rabid?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:03 AM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It's most likely being feed by someone. That makes it extremely dangerous! You need to warn the kids to stay away from it.....even if he looks cute and adorable.

I worked at a state park a few yrs back and the idiot rangers were feeding one soda and candy. I was 7 months pregnant and had to fight that dang coon with a broom when he cornered a little boy seeking his candy. That coon would sit outside my office door on the light fixture and jump on anyone that came out.

Needless to say being a state park the coon had all the rights. I got a cage and trapped that sucker. I took the airboat out onto the marsh and dropped him off on a jetty about 50 miles out. He came back. So....my boss took his ass off to the lake region 4 hours away.

Moral of the story....don't feed wild animals candy. And...keep an eye out. Even if he isn't rabid he has nasty, germ filled teeth.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Honey, if it's under your car then you ain't going to go anywhere! Lol! I can't tell you how many mornings before work I'd go out to get in the car to find a gator under it. Soon as you get close enough it will start hissing and stomping.

Hmmmm....now I'm wondering if I should use my last pack of gator meat for dinner tonight. Lol!!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• either that or it's regularly fed by someone
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Could have been or maybe he was just looking for an easy meal. At our last house we had the occasional raccoon wander through our backyard and hang out under the bird feeder. One woke our dog up and he was going nuts (so much that I thought someone might be breaking in). After walking the house we decided to look in the back yard. I turned the back patio lights on and there was the biggest raccoon I had ever seen. The dog was losing it, he wanted out so bad but I couldn't let him go out since I thought that coon could have easily took all 100 lbs of him.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If you get the time:
    Everything you ever wanted to know about racoons and people

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Where I'm from alligators are a bad problem because people feed them. Nothing worse than a gator in your yard or under your car wanting you to feed it. Lol
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Go get some pepper spray to spray around the yard, that might keep him from keeping back, and yes racoons do carry rabies, and you don't want your dog to tangle with a racoon.
    You could also get a live trap and relocate him to the woods.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Coons can get pretty bold when they've been fed. Mean, too. And if you have garbage cans out, they'll make a hell of a mes in your yard digging through them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• It could be but they raid trash cans and stuff that is dropped and people are really good about doing that. We have animal control out at least once a year to get the coons from the dumpster. One mamma from the woods will claim the dumpster as hers and then have a pack of babies, usually three but I have seen six on occasion. When startled the hiss and jump but generally just back off so you can throw in more delicacies for them. They are not really afraid of people at all.
    I certainly would not take a chance on being bit. I would not charge at them either. They are pretty peaceful but really don't like being chased.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:41 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Thanks, trust me I won't be feeding it. Although I do throw bread out for the birds- but that's in my front yard, not the back yard where this thing was. I thought maybe with it being a city dweller he was used to people & traffic. I have just never encountered one that close up before & was a bit shocked at how fearless it was. I practically broke my broom trying to shoo it away! :p
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2013