Should Chelsea Manning, aka Bradley, be allowed to receive hormones in federal prison?

He's requested hormone replacement therapy to begin the process of changing sexes and the officials have said they will not provide them while he serves 35 years in military prison.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• If it's not necessary for him to be healthy, then I say no. Things necessary for health and survival, such as insulin for a diabetic or nitroglycerin for someone with a heart problem, should be provided. But I don't see why this would be necessary, so I see no reason why it should be provided. The point of prison is to punish, not to let you continue with your life as it was, just with some ugly metal bars between you and the rest of the world.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:26 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Idk who that is...but no.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:47 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I don't know. Personally I don't think taxpayers should have to pay for it. I am not opposed to him being allowed to take them as long as the tax payers are not funding it (I.e. not through government programs).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I'm all for equality among the sexes, transgenders, homosexuals, etc., but once you are in prison, you lose certain rights & privileges. If he can pay for the over & above medical care himself, then fine. If not, then sorry about your luck pal.  (And I don't think denying that is considered cruel & unusual punishment either.) 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If he can pay for it himself then fine. I am appalled at how much we, the tax payers, shell out for meds for prisoners.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I am torn on this one...I think it is essential for his well being, but do not think tax payers should have to fund it....

Answer by older at 9:31 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Absolutely not! It infuriates me that this was even considered.

He/She was found guilty of leaking thousands of classified documents. 6 counts of espionage!
    Literally putting our Military members at risk!
    If Chelsea/Bradley wanted this so badly, maybe she should have stayed out of trouble and received treatment the way she should have, and not by taxpayers money.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:37 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If he can find a way to pay for it himself, then more power to him. But I don't think it would be right for a prisoner to receive something elective like this while law-abiding citizens can't afford to get their medications on the outside.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Oh this is a huge HELL NO from me!

And then where will they put him after he's a she? They won't be able to keep him with the male prison population will they?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• No, of course not. I think this is a dodge to keep him out of prison. Seriously, gender identity JUST became an issue immediately after being found guilty and sentenced to 35 years?!? He/she knows that this would cause far too many issues with his/her safety and is hoping to have his/her sentence reduced or tossed.

Not only should the government/taxpayers not pay for this treatment, he/she should not be allowed to pursue anything to do with this until released from prison.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2013