What to do if a 2 year old (potty trained) is scared of public bathrooms

She is over 2 years old and has been potty trained for about 2-3 months thing is when we were potty trained I accidently took her took her to the store in undies instead of a diaper and she hadn't went potty in a while so I took her into the store potty when we got there so she wouldn't have an accident on the floor well I didn't even think about them flushing themselves well when I put her on the potty it flushed while she was on it and now she WILL NOT what so ever go to the bathroom on a public toilet. Shoot if I have to go and take her in there she freaks and trys to go back out the door she wants nothing to do with them now. She does however go at home and at family and friends houses just if she has to go at the store or restraunt she wont she will tell me she has to go potty, but then at times she pees her pants only in public though. How do I get her not scared of them anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try taking her to the potty in friends houses, continue to try and take her with you in public restrooms but don't make her sit. Get a travel potty for her to use on errands or when you're out. My 3 yo dd had an insane fear (still does) of the electric hand blowers/dryers. As soon as we walk in a bathroom she tells me she doesn't need to wash her hands.:). I carry hand sanitizer with me.

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• It will just take time. Try to always have her go before you leave the house and try to avoid it for a while. My kids were also scared of that. So was my niece. She'll come around. It's normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:33 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• My DIL had a portable potty seat in the car that she used until the kids could handle being out longer and also use the larger restroom toilets. You could do that and you could also have her wear pullups if you are going out for a long ime. As mompam said, it just takes time.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Best idea that worked for us was desensitizing
    I took the kid in and let them wave his hand in front of the thing making it go off- laughed giggled "big boy" type of stuff
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:50 AM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I would leave a portable potty in the back of your car while gently encouraging and reassuring her about the public restroom.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Buy a portable potty seat. She's probably over-whelmed by the size of the toilets.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• She uses the big potty at home and stuff she even loves flushing them I just think the loudness and the fact it flushed itself scared here
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Yes. You have to stand behind them on the automatic flushers.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• My son was scared of those automatic flushers when he was 6 years old. I covered the sensor up with toilet paper while he was going to the bathroom.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2013