Would you date a divorced man?

so ever since i announced on FB that i'm officially divorced a few of my male FB friends have come out of the woodwork. convenient huh? one guy i don't know well at all, he's the brother of a friend and he's 10 years older. he just told me he's recently divorced as well. not that i was planning to date him or anything. but it's obviously the reason he's talking to me, he's hoping it will lead somewhere. i don't know, i know why i divorced my ex and i know he's not honest with women he meets about it. for all i know this guy could be as bad or worse as my ex. i feel wary about it because there was obviously a reason his marriage didn't work, but it probably was nothing like why mine didn't and for all i know maybe his ex cheated or something. sigh... i think id rather just be alone then have to worry about trusting someone again :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Relationships

• Everyone has baggage, so I guess I would have to get to know them as a person before making any decisions about a possible romance. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• i agree, but my problem is, i won't know if he's telling the truth or not.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• No harm in talking. Just keep your wits about you, and stay out of FB drama.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Personally, I think it's too soon for the dating game. Just take time to heal from your ordeal, then you'll know when you can trust again.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• The same thing happened to me, the second people knew I was divorcing, ex's & male friends galore came out of the woodwork. I asked a (gay) male friend about it & he said that I was basically, in their eyes, vulnerable prey. So, don't put too much stock into it.

But, yes I'd date a divorced guy. At my age, almost 40, pretty much every guy my age is divorced, if not then they probably have commitment issues.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• At this moment, I wouldn't date ANYONE.

But I did date a divorced guy and wound up marrying him.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• My husband married me and I was divorced. I'm also 39 years old. If I got divorced and started dating, the likelihood of me finding a 40 year old virgin is pretty scant.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I dated and married a divorced man. The reason why he divorced wasn't anything huge like abuse, or cheating. It was bc his first wife decided she didn't want children, or that close immediate family environment. They agreed to go their separate ways, and they are still.casual friends. I learned that except in cases of abuse or cheating, often times the reasons for the divorce don't apply to the new relationship as you are a different person and bring a different dynamic to the relationship
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I guess now that your divorced yourself, put yourself in his shoes he got divorced maybe because he was married to a psycho. I would keep it light, and trust comes within time. Don't worry the right guy will come along, I went through a divorce as well, and I've had no success in the dating department, but I'm ok with that I would rather no that it's not going to work then get involved with a guy that isn't really for me. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I do not know to be honest but I would wait a while after a divorce to get it all together before letting a date go anywhere.
    Some men hear divorce and their thoughts go between their legs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2013