Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can I do with my 17 year old son?

He is steeling stuff objects from stores and schools. The school called me and he is about to be suspended. And because he is so tall and heavy set, he tries to hurt me. I tried to tell the police about it, but all they say is, he is a minor you are responsible. I don't know what to do any more.

Answer Question

Asked by HelpMePlease399 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • You can press charges against him, I sure as hell would!!

    Answer by funlovinlady at 4:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • No- they are responsible to haul his ass to jail if he is assaulting you! Stealing is a crime too. This boy needs some serious counseling to turn things around before he becomes an adult & has to do time w/ the big boys. GL to you & your family.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • If a minor hurts someone, they still go to jail.
    Call the police if threatens you.
    911- "I'm being assaulted". You don't have to say WHO or how old they are.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • Minor still have to obey the law!!! But you have to step up and press charges!!! Minors go to juvenile jail all of the time but based on his age and size he could be tried as an adult. He needs to be made aware of this

    Answer by Nimue930 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • Where is his father?
    Do you have an uncle, brother?
    If he does hit you that is assault, minor or not

    Answer by Dardenella at 5:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • You need to call the cops the next time he puts his hands on you, as for the rest, you can't fix it now, he needs some tough love and most likely a bit of confinement to make him understand why his actions are wrong.
    How about this, next time he STEALS, don't go bail him out or help him?

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • Tell the school to press charges for stealing.... that will get his attention

    Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • Well the police wont do anything? Call CPS on your self. Tell them the problem you are having with him. FYI. As soon as he turn 18 you can legaly kick him out.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • I am sure he didn't just become violent towards you when he turned 17 (unless there is an addiction/ mental illness only just surfacing).

    So, when he was younger and beginning to disrespect you and show violent tendencies What did you do?

    Answer by feralxat at 7:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

  • Get yourself a time he goes for you, clover him! after you settle who is in charge, get him some professional help....

    Answer by older at 7:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.