I am going to be looking for work...suggestions appreciated, nothing to wild or out there, but practical advice encouraged

I have been stay at home mom for six years
Before my beautiful daughter, I was a graphic artist
Worked at newspaper doing the ads also the pagination of the paper
Worked at ad agency, it was small, and short lived, it went out of business, just as I found I was pregnant and high risk. I did brochures, billboards, etc
Worked at publishing company, did photo editing for calendars and books, yes spell check is great but an editor is even better...ha, beat you to the bad typer jokes

Daughter will be in school. 8-3
After school she has therapy in home and I have to be here, so no after school daycare stuff, at least for two years.
When she has day off, early release, and sick, I am only one, so somewhere that is flexible with some occasional days off.. And of course just between 8:30 and 2:30

I have a car, it is old but still runs, I have a computer, a phone, land and cell, I speak English pretty well (would never by my typing) no other language.

Iam pretty crafty, come from an art family. Not afraid of hard work, but not the strongest, as I am not a spring chicken.

Have sold a bit on amazon. Could be design work however do not have the programs and heard pretty darn expensive, plus my computer might not hold those huge programs.

I live near a fairly large city. I live in the burbs with rich housewives that spend too much money on things they could make themselves if they tried or were creative enough. I am average in looks, long in the tooth..48. And I think that I have a wicked sense of humor, however that is an opinion and not a fact.

Any ideas for me

Will return, have to go feed the pet rats next door with daughter
So I will not be monitoring my question for a few

Thanks
Let's see how this one goes

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 6:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Money & Work

• So selling crack or stripping is not an option?
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Can you sew? Rich housewives pay like $40.00 a pop for things like nursing covers and baby slings that are literally pieces of fabric with a hem sown in them... you could make one for about .50 cents!
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Why don't you design promotion signs for local places, like 2 for one we are having a sale, 20% off with the name and logo of the establishement? I just got done putting in office furniture for a lawyer who had no idea how to market his practice, you could make "mock" signs and promote them to locally owned bars, restaurants, beauty salons, nail salons. whatever.
    You could offer to design promotions for them through out the year.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Are there any PR or marketing agencies near you? You might be able to do freelance work as a designer.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Hmm. Let me think on this. Of course, freelance is an option (and probably a good one). Wonder if M-Avi could point you to something?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I was also going to mention free lance as well. Target non-profits or small businesses who can't hire a full time person for graphic design but could do free lance. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• There is software you can use that's not expensive and does the same job. I'll msg you in more detail after I get home tonight
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Stripping...floors and floor work, have been known to do, my body....lol
    I can not sew much, straight line for hems, but if I came up with a pattern for a nifty idea, some kind of angle to sell them, make them look difficult and a must need for wealthy spa moms, I could see that
    Selling. Crack, that is a no go for me
    Like the promo sign idea..note to self, find close cheap printer, figure out cost to produce, if I could make generic, than printing could go down, the set for printing is the big cost..big wish list item, wood block old time printer, this type of printing coming back into vogue.
    As for freelance, tough as I do not have the design computer programs InDesign is expensive.
    And as I read down, NP has already thought ahead of me (hate that she can do this all the time:), I will look forward to your links in email, I have done quark, photoshop, InDesign, and some oddball newspaper ones...any info on what type of ..
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• What type of ram I need to handle the programs, assume they are not as big as InDesign, but assuming will get...well, you know the rest

All ideas are thoughtful and appreciated

I did find ad for part time designer at Milwaukee journal , sent a résumé and samples in a week or so ago...wish me luck, a call back would be nice. It was flexible hours and only half time, like 20 hours, so plenty of time for daughter

But just started to look
    So I will be expecting suggestions, and will keep you updated if I hear back as I send out resumes, and when school starts then I can get out of the house and bang on some doors

Meanwhile, working on some ideas for some little books...no I am not writing them ...compiling them, used to do this at publishing co. Not hard, and I do not design them on this end, tht is what I used to do. But seen enough submissions that I can compile and send in.
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• You know, what about designer wedding/shower/etc invitations? Something with a cool twist like paper embedded with seeds you can plant or something along those lines
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2013