Adding tea tree oil to shampoo as lice preventative ---

How much? 3 of my kids (2 school buildings) brought home lice notices yesterday- which means it's a family that has it. We need to prevent it!

And, are there any other things we can do, besides the obvious telling them not to share combs/hats, etc?

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 8:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Health

• I use Fairy Tales products on my 9 year olds hair religiously every morning before school. She got lice in Kindergarten and then again in 1st grade. A friend suggested this product to me and she hasn't gotten lice since--she's in 4th grade now. It really works. You can buy in from their website, at Amazon and in Ulta stores. I use the rosemary repel spray only, not even the shampoo. I spray her dry hair at the back of the neck, underneath her hair, all over her hair and across the tops of her shoulders. It works for us. You should give it a try.

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• This is not a proven fact though... We used to sell it at the store I managed. Many teachers used it as well, but still others said it did not work at all. Also, there are those that are allergic to it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If you use the tea tree oils ( which I love) you only need to add about 5 drops to a regular size container you really don't need to put much
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• You should never use the same brushes, combs, berets or wear seach others hate.   You need to educater your kids on that.  And do it at home. Every body in the house should have there own stuff.    That is prevetive stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Rinsing with white vinegar loosens eggs and keeps them from adhering to hair shafts, you may want to add that to your routine for a while to help prevent reinfestation.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Use head and shoulders shampoo. Same active ingredient as lice shampoo just a lower percentage. (As a daily shampoo for preventative measures)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2013