After returning from maternity leave, I was changed from salaried, which I have been for 18years and now they switched me to hourly and cut my pay by 40%. Can they do that in Florida?

This company has 300 employees. I have moved up the company in my 18 years. I took my 12 weeks of unpaid Maternity leave a d the day I return is when they tell me we are slashing your salary by 40% and instead of being salaried you will be hourly. They have NEVER done this in the company to any other woman returning to work after magnitude leave. I feel so humiliated and disrespected. Any comments from anyone? Thank you for listening

Ducky777

Asked by Ducky777 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That doesn't seem right. I would contact the Department of Labor or even an attorney.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If you are in a right to work state, this may be perfectly legal..You can contact your states labor board and ask and go from there..Do you have a signed contract with this company ??
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• The least they could have done was tell you before it happened....you need to research your laws....

Answer by older at 9:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If you had a contract stipulating a certain salary etc, then you would have to sign off on it first. If you did not have an employment contract, you are considered "at will" meaning they can cut your hours, pay, benefits, etc when they want and by how much they want, they don't even have to give you notice in some states.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Thats the word I was looking for "at will", many states are just that and don't have to give you a reason or notice..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If it was FMLA leave this may help (sorry not clicky): http://work.chron.com/can-employer-change-hours-work-am-returning-fmla-10853.html
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• If you were salaried I would assume that you were on call, working whatever hours they needed you for.
    Now that you have a baby, you aren't going to be available all those hours, BUT you should be eligible for time and a half or double time if you work overtime.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• I don't have any advice, but it must have been quite a shock for you. I can imagine it would be hard to deal with. Hang in there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Thanks e everyone. No signed contract, but will investigate more. Moms are Awesome!
    Ducky777

Comment by Ducky777 (original poster) at 6:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2013