I havent been healthy this pregnancy :/

I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I'm down to smoking 3 cigarettes a day which I know I shouldn't be doing at all, still cutting back and hopefully quit within a month! But that still worries me. I feel selfish and awful about it but even my Dr told me not to just stop but to cut myself back each week and just havent quit as soon as I was hoping. I drink caffeine bc if I don't I have horrible headaches. But only in the morning and when I eat supper.
I don't really have an appetite but I try to make myself eat!
I threw up every prenatal vitamin just about at the beginning of my pregnancy. Then I started taking the gummies which I only took one for like 2 months and I was suppose to take 2 and didn't know!
I feel awful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You're just now entering the 3rd trimester. You still have plenty of time to turn things around and start living healthier for your baby NOW. You can't change what has happened in the past, but you can make sure you don't continue down that same road.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• So stop doing the shit that you feel guilty about. Yeah, going cold turkey can be just as harmful as smoking, but at this point you need to just stop, you cut down enough. I didn't take vitamins either because they made me sick, DS wasn't affected by it, so stop worrying about that. Eat, whether you want to or not, eat HEALTHY if you can't make yourself eat much. Though if you aren't eating, taking the vitamins would be a really good idea. Talk to your doctor about your issues and see if they can help you. Make a plan and STICK to it, no excuses!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• Thanks for the info
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2013

• The past is in the past. Leave it there. You can change your unhealthy habits, one choice at a time. If not for yourself, then for the baby who doesn't get to make the same choices you do. Guilt it unproductive; trade it in for determination.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• You could change to an ecig
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• You probably feel awful because you feel scared & guilty, and because you tend to be really hard on yourself. Like finding out about the intended dosage of the gummy vitamins, that you'd been taking 1 a day instead of 2.
    If you can identify your fears & examine them (start with your fears around not taking the recommended amount, thus not getting that amount of vitamin supplements--what you fear that could mean for your baby) you will relieve some of the distress that comes from struggling to AVOID your fears. You also will be in a place to start moving in directions you feel better about.
    The supplements are helpful but they are not "insurance," so while you want to do the best you can for your baby this lapse is not some kind of quantifiable mistake. Probably part of it is your fear about the impact of smoking on the baby, and your wish to offer some buffer or compensation. Feel that fear & regret, and take action now.
    Hugs!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2013