So I have this idea for a gift, but I'm unsure if I should keep it as a surprise or ask for input?

I plan on redoing my glider for my sister's nursery and giving to her as a Christmas gift. I want to sand it down and do a gray wash on it, but I'm not sure if she'd like it. Trying to decide if I should just tell her and ask her opinion or keep it a surprise and do some detective work to find out it more of her style. What would you do? I've tried her Pinterest page, but she only has wedding stuff pinned.

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 9:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• I think you should do it and let it be a surprise. Those gliders are awesome and can be pricey so she might not have planned to get herself one because of the price. My mom got me one while I was pregnant for Christmas and I loved it!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• If you want to keep it a surprise, why not just ask for her opinion? "I'm thinking about redoing my glider, maybe putting it in the (guest room/living room/whatever). I was thinking doing it in a gray wash. What do you think? Do you think that would look good or do you think something else would look better?"

Then you'd be able to learn what she'd like, without telling her your plans.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• What are her colors for the nursery? I agree with wendy, just ask what she thinks?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Maybe ask her SO? Or look around in her house and see what other furniture she has?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I would ask her what colors she is planning on for the Nursery. What color is the crib? I'd coordinate it with her color theme. My Child's crib is white & the glider is pale yellow like butter color.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Maybe talk to her husband for ideas? See if she has talked about colors or patterns she likes.

Answer by missanc at 12:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• You can always ask what her ideas are for her nursery and do from there. You can still keep it a surprise. The only snag would be if they or someone else has that in mind and gives them a glider before you do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Detective stuff!! Maybe you can enlist another sibling (if you have one), a parent, or her SO to be your sneaky sidekick... to take any suspicions she might have you and confuse her a little! My sister is the master of sneaky gifts, and it's even better when she enlists myself or another sibling to help out.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2013