Fundraisers-the good bad and the ugly

Every school, soccer team and so forth seems to fundraise these days and as much as I love to help my fellow human I often cringe when I am asked to buy wrapping paper for $20 from a friend.

I am helping out with DS's school this year and wonder:

What are the best/worst fundraisers you have encountered.

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Hands down trash bags, our school stopped this year, but they were an easy sell and high quality, this year they are having a raffle for cash drawings at $25 per ticket, I am just buying the 8 tickets myself. The trash bags were something that people actually called us for, sad they are not doing it again.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I do box tops. That's my contribution to fundraising. There's no pressure to buy or sell anything.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I don't mind the wrapping paper, it's usually pretty good quality. I hate the entertainment coupon books.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I will NOT sell, or buy anything from the fundraisers at school. IMO if they would just ask for a monthly donation, or something like that parents would be more inclined to help.
    Also if they have a function, like the fall festival, or the winter dance, and ask for a monetary donation at the door they would make more, than trying to sell frozen cookie dough to make money.
    I was a part of the PTA for years, and just couldn't do it anymore when they wouldn't listen to our suggestions. Like a raffle, instead of selling useless crap....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:29 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I love selling candy bars and having bake sales during elections. I HATE when my son has to stand out in front of stores every summer for baseball, begging for donations. It's embarrassing!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I love the entertainment books! Now that my kids are in middle school I have to seek out some elem kids to buy them from. With my family of 7 they save a bundle on going out to eat. I save at least double what I spend on the book(s)
    I also like the quality of the wrapping paper but it's usually high priced.
    My favorite fundraiser ever were grocery store vouchers. I gave the student X amount of money and they gave me X amount of vouchers. I wasn't out any money, because I'm always at the grocery store! The fundraiser went on for 8-12 weeks so i just gave her my grocery money so the school could get their %. Not sure which grocery chains participate, this was Food Lion.

Answer by missanc at 12:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• the best?
    I dunno...bake sales?

I HATE the fundraiser crap- the stuff if so expensive and it's pretty much ALL stuff no one needs or really wants
    I never made my kids do them. We would buy one or two of the cheaper things so they didn't feel like they sold NOTHING but- I never bothered family or neighbors-knowing they too were probably dealing with it as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My favorite are the See's Candy fundraisers.

Everything else I've seen is junk - I don't want storebought cookie dough, I don't want to pay that much for wrapping paper, and I don't need another magazine subscription. Really the worst thing to me is how excited the kids get from the rallies the schools hold to kick off each fundraiser, not realizing just how much they have to sell in order to get a cool prize. It's impossible for most kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I really dislike the Entertainment Books. We buy them and rarely use them.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• We have the option of just sending in money, but when our PTO broke down what they spend on the kids each year it came out to about $150 per kid. That can add up real quick in large families. A friend had a fundraiser where they simply asked people to donate instead of buying overpriced stuff and they got almost twice as much as they usually do.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:15 AM on Aug. 29, 2013