I found my dog this morning, dead :/

As most of you know, I have a lot of dogs (Flash, Sally, Bama, Lucy, Mama, Heifer & Bo). They all stay in the barn at night (except for 2 of them), well I let all of them out this morning when I got up (around 4:30) and my pit bull, Bo, wasn't acting like himself. He didn't run out of the barn like he usually does, he walked out and went to lay in the field. I thought maybe he just didn't feel well (he was about 12 years old). Well, I went back out to check on all the animals around 8, after I dropped dd off at school, and Bo was dead. He was a damn good dog and it breaks my heart that he died, and I did nothing to comfort him. I should have stayed with him, but I had to take care of my kids. *sigh*

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Pets

• Photo

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• group hug

It's so hard when we lose our fur babies. Useless platitudes: Don't beat yourself up too much about it. Hindsight is always 20/20.

If you had him for 12 years, he KNEW you loved him.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Hugs. I'm so sorry.

It's not unusual for an animal to go off and die alone, intentionally.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Aw, that is so hard. I'm so sorry. :( I'm sure he knew how much you loved him, even without you being able to hold and comfort him in those last moments.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'm sorry for your loss..... They stay in the barn? Do you have heat/ac in there? I don't think pets should be left outside no matter what, so you might need to rethink having so many dogs that you can't care for in your home....
    Answer by Anonymous 50 minutes ago

Should I bring in the horses... cows... and chickens too???? Damn, I thought I cleaned alot now!!!

Sorry for your loss Josie, this happened to us recently, its really hard for the boys to understand!
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Animals are made to withstand the elements. They should not be kept inside. No guilt here!
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Josie, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I am absolutely sure you were an awesome adoptive mom to Bo and I'm sure he loved his life on the farm with you. Please be good to yourself and appreciate all of the love and care you provided over the years, I bet he did very very much.

Anon, this is absolutely the wrong thread to express your uninformed views about Josie in particular or animal care in general. It's rude and thoughtless and certainly uncalled for behavior. Where are the "forced vacation police" when you need them?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• :( so sorry
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'm sorry :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2013

• It's so hard losing a pet, especially when they can't tell you what's wrong before hand. Sorry for your loss!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2013