Pricey backpacks, your thoughts

we've always done character type back packs (hello kitty, iron man, etc) and they go on sales and are crazy cheap BUT they get holes very easily and are disappointing.

this year my daughter is in 2nd and I think we'll do the cheap-o one again, especially since One Direction is what she is wanting

son in 3rd though will be bringing an ipad home and I now have a financial investment to want to take care of it. Jansport and other brand make these backpacks w/ foam inserts for tablets and laptops, etc. it's shocking though to think about paying for a $50+ backpack when you've only ever done 7 dollar ones. what do you do?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has a Targus computer backpack. It cost about $60-$70 when we bought it at the start of middle school. He's still using it now in his freshman year of high school, and I expect he'll still be using it at graduation.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Something made of a sturdier cloth-like material seems to hold up better than the cheaper ones w/ the plastic-type material. I believe you get what you pay for. So as long as he's not dragging it along the sidewalk on his way home, it should last him a while. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• you should be able to find a nice one for like 20-30 bucks

have you tried Ross? or Walmart?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'll only buy Jansport for my kids now. They last much longer than just one school year, and that alone makes them a good investment. My oldest is now in his 3rd year with his Jansport backpack, and it still looks new.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• If you're going to get a pricey one, go ahead and get one from LL Bean. They honor their lifetime guarantee, even if it's 3 years later and they've been dragging it home on the sidewalk every day. Buy one now, you'll never have to pay for another again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My daughter got her Jansport in early high school and it lasted her through her entire undergraduate education. Even now that she's in grad school it still is fully functional just not really something she's interested in continuing to use.

I paid $70 and it was the best money I spent
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I found one at Walmart, I don't remember what brand it is, but it was only about $20. It has a padded area for laptops, tablets, whatever. I've had it for 3+ years now - granted, I'm an adult and it doesn't get every day use like a kid's would, but I would check what Walmart has.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Jansport is good quality. Basically, you get what you pay for. My kids will be starting 4th and 1st grades on Wednesday. They still get the super cheap backpacks if/when they need a new one. Once they hit middle/high school I'll dish out more money for a better quality backpack.

Middle school here is 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Not sure I'll get one for 6th, but 7th on up they'll need the better quality, bigger backpacks. Especially if their schools don't have lockers like my high school (still pisses me off, 15 years later).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I just paid $27 for a Jansport at Target and thought that was a lot. However, I have been using the same Jansport backpack since I was pregnant with my daughter and that's been nearly 13 years. That thing has been everywhere and there's not even a rip.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I agree I paid less than $30 bucks for a Jansport last year, because they no longer allowed the character ones at school, I was buying a couple of the cheapos a year, and this is the 2nd year for both backpacks!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2013