Having young children at home birth.

I've noticed that quite a few of my friends and extended family that have home births include their children. Now I know that families have a variety of differences in how much they're comfortable with their kids seeing but I guess my biggest concern is if something goes wrong, mostly because a friend of mine did have her daughter born blue, not breathing and needed to be quickly transported by ambulance. I know that most have had a babysitter there for younger kids but quite a few haven't. So if something goes horribly wrong like it always can or even just wrong enough to be scary or need an ambulance, what about the kids in an emergency? What if Mom's in pain or bleeding and they find it frightening?
Is there like a way that one would talk them though what could happen before hand? < This is my biggest question.

No I'm not planning a home birth I'm just curious since many of my friends have had babies at home sometimes with children there. With a few friends I'm somewhat expecting to get a call to tend children and my parents the scouters really cemented "Be Prepered" in my head.  Yes I do realize that many home births go just fine without issue all the time. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• I've never done a home birth. My mother had planned to have me at home but it didn't happen(complications).

while I agree that it would be fine to have the children there I think explaining to them that it is possible that the baby or mommy would have to go the hospital during and after. I think having an extra adult is always a great idea so that there is someone there to stay with the children if the hospital is needed. I don't think it would be overly traumatizing for a child to be there...and if there is an extra there they can always take the kids into another part of the house if needed.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I am going to just say what I feel, I have no idea in today's day and age why someone would choose to have a baby at home. I can't imagine that with the birthing centers and hospitals the need to have your baby on the bed, and god forbid something go wrong. I also don't think it is a great idea to expose young children to their mother being in pain.
    IMHO this causes sex=pain issues esp. for girls.
    We no longer live in caves or without transportation, so I would think that most mothers would want to have a baby where if something went wrong, it could be taken care of pronto. This is in no way a slam towards midwives or anything, and alot of them work out of birthing centers that are very close to a hospital.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I think I would WANT my daughters to know that sex=pregnancy=pain lol

I had a midwife, but mine worked under a doctor in a clinic and then at the hospital which is where I had my child..Even if I had wanted to I don't think she would have let me have a home birth.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I've had two c-sections both kids failure to descend. My first still didn't drop even after much walking, squatting and pitocin. My second was a 34 week preemie with a placental blood clot that they found in surgery. So failure to descend with 2 babies under 7 lbs even in 24 hours ,plus 2 c-sections ,plus a genetic tendency towards clotting, plus my lupus, epilepsy and asthma I was never a good candidate. I can kind of understand it with several of my friends because they tend to be more natural living people. One of them is scared of doctors, one is scared of the government and another was born at home herself.

From what I've seen it's a very diverse group that chooses home birth. Some it's fear, some it's tradition,some it's religion, etc...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2013