How do you handle eye rolling?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't get eye-rolling.

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• From my kids or as a result of the things i read on this site?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• With my kids, I roll my eyes back at them. I'm really sarcastic so they learned it from me. And, it seems hypocritical to discipline them for something I've sure I do several times a day. But, I also whine back at them when they whine at me soooo.....
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I try to prevent it from me by avoiding idiots, and I let my SD know that I am aware she is annoyed without that cue when she is guilty of it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I don't do much about it. They have feelings and that is one way to express them
    I might say something like "roll your eyes all you want but the answer is still no...or you can roll your eyes, but I still want it done"
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Ask them (kindly) to look at your eyes (keep asking till they do it and ask again when they break eye contact) and explain to them why you answered the way you did. Eye contact is important, it means they are listening. Tell them specifically, "I told you no not because I don't want you to have fun, but because...." as a kid, I remember it drove me nuts when my parents would say "because I said so" or "just do what your told". Its important to build a relationship with your kids by explaining things to them. That way when they are on their own, they will be more likely to make the right choices.
    Danielle G.

Answer by Danielle G. at 7:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Ignore it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Ideally, I try to be as constructive (respond, rather than react) as with anything else.
    Think for a minute about what that behavior expresses or communicates. Is it okay to feel that way?
    Making space for what your child is feeling in the moment, even when you are displeased by the form of the expression, is a pretty constructive way to respond. It helps make for better moments in the future because it is relationship-focused rather than focused solely on discouraging the behavior, often in ways that undermine or erode the relationship.
    Think in terms of acknowledgment. I think of "translating" what the child's behavior communicates. It shows understanding & also provides a model of more mature expression. Reaching out to clarify where you were coming from can convey caring, too.
    If it seems less loaded for the child (more flip than genuinely frustrated) I might simply share feedback about the behavior & maybe make a request.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• It has no effect on me whatsoever because I don't see it, so I doubt if it even happens much in my house. The kids have other ways to express their extreme long-suffering annoyance, though, particularly very loud, heavy sighs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2013