Anyone know why my house phone would say "Extension In Use"?

There is only one phone and it's on the hook. It worked for a while but now just says extension in use and nothing I've done has fixed it.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I saw a lot of answers pointing to your outlet being shorted out or a wiring problem when I just googled this. Try moving the unit to another outlet?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Mine only does that when one of the phones is off the hook. Check that the speaker phone isn't on, or unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Might be a battery issue

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Do you have a Cable Company providing your internet & telephone service? They may be working on the lines somewhere in the neighborhood. I Maybe call & ask them if they are working on a problem. Try what PartyGal said, unplug for a while then plug in again.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'd say either the power isn't getting to it properly (either bad outlet or the battery dying), or the phone lines are out. Do you have another phone you could plug in to see if you get a dial tone?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Chances are good that the phone lines are out of order somewhere nearby, or being worked on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2013