Is there ever a nice way to suggest this to a friend?

I know that a friend of mine is trying to have another baby and is having kind of a hard time getting pregnant. I know that she's still breastfeeding her almost 3 year old and plans to let him wean himself. I've had a lot of personal experience with infertility including some issues with hyperprolactemia as well as a medical background. Prolactin which is essential to lactation causes ovulation to become less frequent if not stop(some women are different I know) and can cause drying of the cervical mucus which is needed for sperm to survive. Also from what I've heard from other people most reproductive specialists won't start medications if a woman is still nursing.

Is there a polite way to bring this up as a friend whose had similar issues or is always taboo?

This is in no way a he's too old to be breastfed or that it isn't important to them. I just don't want to see a friend suffer the pain of infertility if it can be fixed by slowly changing a few lifestyle things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's taboo. You put it very politely and reasonably worded in this question. I'm guessing unless your friend is very very defensive you won't upset her by discussing it as a concerned friend.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I would say something like , "Hey, I wanted to let you know you've been in my thoughts, and I decided to take a look at some things, and here's what I cam up with. As soon as I saw it I thought of you, and this might be a key in helping you get pregnant! Good Luck!"
    And then just copy and paste some resources into the message.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• If she brings her difficulty getting pregnant up to you, then absolutely share this information with her. I would also give her links to other sources that have this info. There is nothing wrong with sharing relevant information. Just make sure your delivery doesn't come off as condescending and there will be nothing for her to take offense at.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'd say "Did you see that TV show? They described what I & maybe even you may be suffering from!" Then explain it like you just saw it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• It's quite likely she actually knows the lactation is interfering; women who nurse to self-weaning tend to be pretty well informed. But you can always ask her, "Is it true that breastfeeding can interfere with fertility?"

Answer by gdiamante at 5:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Have you asked her if she's discussed this issue w/ her Dr.? I would tell her about the research you did & have her take it up w/ her Dr.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2013