If your child was consistently in the lower percentile for height are they still noticeably short?

My daughter was born premature so I expected her to take a while to catch up but she's been consistently about 30th percentile for height and doesn't seem to be going any higher. I guess it's what I get for marrying a man who's quarter Guatemalan Indian(some kind of Mayan that I can't spell).
But did your kids ever catch up if they followed a small percentile or did they just stay short into childhood?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Mine is 12 and still in the 25th percentile for height,but I'm barely 5'2,and my DH is 5"7. We don't expect him to get over 5'5"

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• You do realize kids get their height from the family?

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Yeah- DD stands all of 5'2 ish at 14 yo
    Her brother is 6 ft
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• @louise2 I guess I expected her to be closer to the 50th percentile like her brother. I'm 5'8 and the shortest in my family most of the women in my extended are at least 5'6 so I guess I was expecting taller from my side of the family.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My son is in like the 97th percentile in height and DD is about 75%.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• How old is you daughter?

My son was born 3 weeks early, so near premie but not quite, the doctors still treated him as a premie. He was being for several years but at the last well check that they told me the chart last year he was 95% for height(he had a huge growth spurt). He is still low on weight though lol.

When he was born they said it would take years for him to catch up, and it did about 5 years.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My son was ALWAYS the shortest in his class. All through school until 8th grade. Then the summer after 8th he started growing. Grew like 7 inches a year! Now at 18 he's 6ft. Taller than all the kids that always towered over him
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Depends, my DS was 8 weeks preemie and was in about the same range until he was about 3 or 4, now he is in the 75%, but I am tallish, and my husband is 6 ft. DD was born and was always tall until about the 3 or 4 age range now she is in the 50% and it doesn't suprise me both my husband and I's fathers are under 5 ft 7 inches, but on all sides our grandfathers were well over 6 ft. I am guessing that your child isn't going to be super short or super tall, it really has more to do with diet, and genetics.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My middle child was my only that was very low in the percentiles. Her 14 months younger sister is taller than her. She just turned 8, her younger sister will turn 7 in 2 months. If she makes it to 5 feet, it'll be a miracle. Everyone else I'm expecting to be taller than me (5'8").
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I was born three months premature, started out short and stayed short. My daughter was full term, started out in like the fifteenth percentile for height, now she's in the fiftieth at five years old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2013