Is it safe to leave a warm water humidifire on in my two year olds room while he naps?

Brycesmommy222

Asked by Brycesmommy222 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not really. At 2 they can mess with the plug,topple it over
    Do you mean NOW? Or in winter?
    I'm wondering where you live if dryness is that much of an issue in August,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My son has been showing symptoms of a cold. Runny nose, cough when he sleeps...which is why we pulled out the humidifier, it has Vic's steam activated inhalant in it which helped tremendously with his cough last night but he was in bed with me. I just don't feel comfortable leaving it in his room with him alone since the steam does get very warm.
    Brycesmommy222

Comment by Brycesmommy222 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• It's a dangerous idea. My sister tripped on the cord of a steam humidifier when she was a little girl, and she burned her leg enough that it blistered. No lasting scars, but I think leaving a small child alone with anything that has hot water or steam is too risky.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• You could run it for an hour with his door closed then turn it off and put it away while he naps
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Personally I would go with a cool mist humidifier- we keep one running day and night for our girls' allergies. Warm mist has that nasty risk of burns and scalding if he gets into it somehow.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Thanks everyone. We have been running it for about 30 min in his room before he goes down for a nap or goes to bed then shut it off and remove it from him room while he sleeps. We will definitely look into a cold mist humidifire since I do agree that it would be safer.
    Brycesmommy222

Comment by Brycesmommy222 (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• As long as it is out of reach and the cord is wrapped up so he cant reach it to pull anything down. A cool mist is safer but I have used both. It just depends on location
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 3:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2013