How do you help a 1st grader with homework without giving them the answer?

My sons assignment was about his name. 1st question asked why his name was chosen, so I told him it was because me and daddy liked it. 2nd question was why is your name special to you, and all he keeps telling me is I don't know. How do I help him with this without telling him what to write?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him why your name is special to you to give him some ideas.

Answer by missanc at 6:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I agree with pp
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• That's apretty vague topic for a first grader, I think. Have a chat about why you and his dad lked his name. What does it mean? Is he named for someone? What nationality is his name from? Try www.babynames.co. If something seems to resonate with him, encourage him to write it down. There's nothing worse at any age than a blank page, while you sit there with no clue how to fill it up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• My son is in first grade and he's never gotten an assignment like that! Everything he brings home is pretty easy and he usually doesn't need help with it. Have you tried just re-wording the question? Like: Why do you like your name?
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2013