Britain will not join USA in strike on Syria (edit)

Germany has also said they're not interested.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/29/syria-united-kingdom-debate/2725999/

Russia has moved some of it's fleet there.

Will we get involved anyway?  Do we have any business doing so when we're 2 months from raising the debt ceiling again?

ETA, just saw this one from the past hour:

Obama Willing to Pursue Solo Syria Strikes, Aides Say

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh,I hope not! Can we even have 1 year off where we're not at war with someone?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I just don't see how we can.

Isolationism isn't always bad.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• We have no business being over there. This is Bush & Iraq all over again! Only this time this president is bi-passing Congress- Again!!!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Well, at least the American people are supporting it. Oh wait...
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• To me it just seems like that Obama is trying to run this country into the ground. Just my IMO. I just want to know where all the protesters went, why are they not out protesting?

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 8:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• The problem is about saving face. He made the comment about his 'red line' and now he claims that they have concluded that The Syrian army conducted the attack (of course that was before there was another article stating that the evidence was lacking). It would be a stupid move to strike. That said, it won't surprise me if he orders it done.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I wish the leaders of this country would realize that as reprehensible as some human rights violations are, it shouldn't be the job of the United States to make other countries do right by their citizens.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• We need to STAY out of it!

The concern now with some politicians is if Obama waits too long, he'll be seen as weak.
    If we don't have the support of the UN, then we need to step back!
    I just can't go through another war!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• " I just want to know where all the protesters went, why are they not out protesting?"
    They probably figured out it wouldn't matter, Obama would do what he wants. Obama can order a military strike against Syria without Congressional approval. And Obama can do this by citing the 1973 War Powers Act. Which I think, is when the admin can conduct military business for 60 days (?) before seeking approval declaration of war from Congress.
    But what I do not understand is that there is no concrete evidence that the Syrian govt used chemical weapons on their people. What if the rebels did?
    I think Obama wants to go to war before the end of his presidency, or it sure seems he wants too anyway.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• "I just can't go through another war!"
    Technically speaking, the US hasn't gone to "war" since WW2. Or rather, Congress hasn't officially declared war since WW2. But they have authorized the president to use force though.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2013