paragard missed period?

I have had paragard for 8 months now and last month only had spotting for one day, now I am late again with no signs of a period. I have gained some weight (even with regular excercise and eating healthy) and I feel so tired. I have had some back pain, but no stomach pain. Is this normal? Is it normal to miss periods?

Danielle G.

Asked by Danielle G. at 6:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Health

• You should probably ask the doctor who did your procedure. They should have given you a pamphlet on side effects.
    If you think you might be pregnant, TEST.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I think it's more normal to get a heavier period. I haven't ever skipped a period while on mine, but have had long cycles where I go about 35-40 days. Perhaps a dollar store pregnancy test is in order. If that is negative, then call your dr. Well, I suppose you should call if its positive as well.

Good luck.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• NOT normal to skip periods with the paragard and with the other symptoms I would be testing immediately as they will need to get the IUD out if possible if you are pregnant. I did have a few times when I would be late or have a lighter period if I was stressed etc, but never a missed period. Are you sure the IUD is still in place? Did the doctor teach you how to check the strings? How long have you had it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I have had the IUD for a little under 8 months, and it is still in place, I did check. My last period was very light, more like spotting,. I am going to test today and if its negative, then I'm thinking maybe its just a longer time frame in between periods, like you ladies said :) I didn't know that was possible because my doctor just warned me that my periods would be heavier and possibly closer together. Thank you all for the helpful answers!
    Danielle G.

Comment by Danielle G. (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2013