How can you lower blood pressure while pregnant?

I went to my doctors appointment today at nine weeks with my little twins. We were able to determine that they are both healthy and I could hear their little heartbeats, which made me so so happy. The ob that I had to see wasn't my regular ob and didn't really seem like she knew what she was doing, in fact, when she found a heart she was like annnd there's the heart, so I was like uhm, where's the other one? And she hadn't even read enough of my chart to know that they are twins. Of course, we found the other and me and their daddy got all giddy and excited, and the nurse said that I seemed fine other than my morning sickness causing dehydration again. However, this crappy doctor who could barely speak English said that my blood pressure was like 140/87 or something like that and it was higher than last time where it was like 135/68 (guessing, cause iI don't remember the actual exact numbers, but this time was higher by about 20 for the second number and 5-10 for the first) and she said that it seemed high. My problem is that she didn't tell me how to lower it at all. She just mentioned that it's high and that I need a few more blood/urine tests. How can I bring it down? I don't do anything bad like smoke or drink, and I've been taking care of myself as much as I can with the sickness.

ElsaH

Asked by ElsaH at 10:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Pregnancy

• When they decide it is a problem they will tell you how to lower it.
    Stay hydrated.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• It's a good idea to eat lower sodium foods, avoid salt, soda, anything high in sodium. Depending on what your doctor says, a daily walk is good for lowering blood pressure. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid processed foods, and most convenience foods. Good luck mama, wishing you a healthy pregnancy!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• However, this crappy doctor who could barely speak English 

Just because you can't understand their accent, doesn't mean that they can't speak English. I do agree with ohwrite. Eat healthy and avoid foods with a lot of sodium.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• "She just mentioned that it's high and that I need a few more blood/urine tests." - It is high... so they need to look into it before giving any answers. That's just the way it works sometimes. You should call the office tomorrow and talk to a nurse to get your specific questions answered. There is more info... 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/PR00125

http://www.wikihow.com/Naturally-Lower-Blood-Pressure-During-Pregnancy

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/pregnancy-and-high-blood-pressure

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I go back tomorrow for more blood work and a 24 hour urine collection, iI just wanted to know if there are any generally good things that iI can do to help anyways, to keep it down whether they tell me that it's an immediate problem or not. Lol, and no, them having an accent alone doesn't make them a bad doctor, but that combined with not knowing anything about the patient even though they are holding a chart does. she looked shocked when i said that she needed to keep looking and not rush through seeing me, because she was rushing a lot and didn't even bother to ask anything. She laid me down, had me tell her how far along i am because she didn't even glance at my papers, and then i had to tell her that it's a multiple pregnancy when she went to pull away from the ultrasound machine because she got a glimpse of one heart and figured she was done. Good doctors communicate, read, don't rush, and care about their patients.
    ElsaH

Comment by ElsaH (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Thank you guys so much :) hopefully I can keep something down long enough for it to matter. Haha
    ElsaH

• Take a nap.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• One thing you can always do to help is to lessen the amount of salt you take in. Drink that water to stay hydrated. Your anxiety level may have caused a jump in BP temporarily. Relax and wait for your regular doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• Aside from watching your salt intake, you also need to watch your stress level. Focus on what's important (i.e. that you heard both of your children's heart beats NOT that the busy fill in dr barely spoke English). Stress is not good for babies. Don't worry about everything so much. Take deep breaths, pray, spend time out doors (if the weather is nice enough), take time to stop and smell the roses.

Take care and congrats!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'm glad you have heard both heartbeats now and that the babies seem fine. Take it easy, and congratulations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2013