So, I've been diagnosed with Lupus.

Not really a question, but no sure what to feel. I guess I just need to express it somewhere and hope someone can help me process. I've been having some health issues and I have finally been diagnosed with Lupus. There's a part of me that is like "Oh, shit" and there's a part of me that is like "OK, you've been having problems for a bit and you always just do what you need to do, that's not going to change". I've been living with skin issues and pain for a bit now but now that it has a name, I suddenly don't know what to feel.

ChasingBridges

Asked by ChasingBridges at 10:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2013 in Health

• simple frownI'm sorry. I don't know much about Lupus, but now that you know what it is, will they be able to treat your pain better?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I'm sorry!

My sons gf has Lupus and I'm trying to learn about it through her.
    She was recently diagnosed with it.
    At least you know now what it is and can focus on your treatment plan.

I hate not knowing what's wrong with me when I'm having problems.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I have a friend who went thru mystery problems for 2 years before being diagnosed. Knowing must be somewhat of a relief.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I am sorry but at least you know the cause and can work towards treating it.
    If your doctor did not check your thyroid or your vitamin D levels you might ask him to do so.
    I do not have a great deal of knowledge on it, but my brother has lived a good life having it diagnosed for about 30 years, and I remember him telling me that his doctor said that those two are often below normal levels in lupus patients.

Things are looking up for you
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• I went through a period of mystery symptoms and was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Being told that your body is waging civil war against itself, which is the nature of autoimmune diseases, is disheartening. But you'll probably be relieved as your symptoms make more sense in the context of a definite diagnosis, because then at least you know there's a real, physical, nameable reason for your pain. Give yourself permission to have a whole range of emotions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2013

• hugs

Are there support groups in your area?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Thank you for your comments.

Yes, things do make some sense now, but I am a bit disappointed. A lot of what was going on I had put down to my being overweight. Several months ago I started a wellness program and have lost 30 pounds. I have 50 that I want to lose yet. To know that some of my issues most likely will not go away with weight loss is disheartening.

I am just learning about the ins and outs of lupus but I have sort of been a bit numb the past few days.
    ChasingBridges

Comment by ChasingBridges (original poster) at 6:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Your feelings are natural, you are dealing with a chronic illness that now has a name. Advocate for you, ask questions, never be worried about bugging your doctor. Hopefully treatment can relieve some symptoms formy and. Keep that goal to loose weight, you will feel better if you do
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I have lupus. Not using my screen name because I'm a regular here and it's not something I talk about much. It took a really long time for me to be diagnosed and once I was it was very scary. I didn't know what to expect and I heard all the horror stories. But it has been many years now and I do fine. I have a lot of pain in my hips but it isn't constant, it is only when I have a flare. I had a problem with nosebleeds for a long time but that isn't a problem anymore. Eat well, protect yourself from the sun which is really bad for people who have SLE and keep your joints moving. You will be okay. Educate yourself and join a support group if you feel like you need someone to talk to that understands what you are dealing with
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Thank you Anon. I plan on continuing to exercise and eat well and hope to lose even more weight. I was hoping that the joint pain was just a weight thing and getting older thing. I was overweight for years and never had join pain before, but I thought maybe the joint pain was from getting older (I just turned 39) and being overweight. I've been reading up on things and I have been thinking of joining an online support group.

I appreciate your comments.
    ChasingBridges

Comment by ChasingBridges (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2013