Now here is a decent story, something to write home about...

Store rewards honest shoppers...

(CNN) -- Four honest college football players are getting more than they bargained for after a shopping trip in Wayne, New Jersey.

On Sunday night, Thomas James, Kell'E Gallimore, Jelani Bruce and Anthony Biondi drove from William Paterson University to Buddy's Small Lots to look for a few items for their dorm rooms. But when they walked inside, no one else was there.

The students thought it was odd that they were the only ones, but they say they had no idea it was supposed to be closed. Bruce told CNN: "At first, we were nervous. We didn't know what to do. We thought people were there. We didn't just want to walk out of the store."

When they paid for their batteries and sunglasses, they even included how much they owed for sales tax. And after leaving the money at a checkout counter, they walked to a Rite-Aid store next door and told an employee what they had done.

Meanwhile, police were being alerted. Marci Lederman of Buddy's Small Lots told CNN affiliate News 12 New Jersey: "We got a phone call from the police department saying that there had been a break-in at the store." Upon arrival, store management said nothing was seen missing. It turns out a security malfunction had unlocked the doors.

Lederman said that since the store is in a basement, some lights are left on after hours. Management took a look at the store's surveillance video, which showed the four college students doing a little shopping and then walking around the store calling out for a store clerk so they could pay. In the video, two of the student athletes can be seen putting cash on the counter.

James, who's seen in the video waving to try to catch an employee's attention, said he didn't think too much about what happened until his brother called him the next day. "He asked me if I was at Buddy's, my heart dropped a little bit," James said. So he asked his brother: "Are we in trouble?"

It turns out that trouble should have been the last thing on the students' minds. The family-owned store chain wanted to thank the students for their honesty. So the four made another visit to Buddy's on Tuesday, this time to meet employees and go on a free shopping spree.

The students got memory foam pillows, since their school beds are uncomfortable; backpacks; Beats speakers for their iPhones; and cologne, among other things. The store's security malfunction has since been fixed.

The four students even earned praise from Jerry Flora, their college football coach, who said they're "what any coach wants on any team, they represented their families well." 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/28/us/new-jersey-honest-shoppers/index.html?sr=fb082913honestshoppers3p

Now thats awesome!

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That's awesome. Very uplifting; I wish we could read about kids like that more often.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Love reading about the good stuff that happens!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I agree.
    It is sad we don't hear these kinds of things more often
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Its nice when honesty is caught on camera.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Kids caught being good is ALWAYS a good thing. Granted, they're not really kids anymore, but still.

This made me feel a tiny bit better. :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• That is a great story. Although, at the same time, it is a bit sad that it's so rare that a story gets written about it and they get praised so highly - not that they don't deserve it, but just sad that it's so uncommon.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Although, at the same time, it is a bit sad that it's so rare that a story gets written about it and they get praised so highly - not that they don't deserve it, but just sad that it's so uncommon.

I'm not sure it's all that uncommon. The media just goes for the blood-and-guts tales more often. I'm sure for every kid who goes out and shoots a jogger because he's bored like the group of teens in Oklahoma did recently, there are a thousand kids who would be more likely to leave cash on the counter in an empty store to pay for their purchases. If that's naïve, well, I'll just cling to my own view of reality anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I love this story and shared it with my kids. My son's elementary school has a program called "spotted being good", so he thought it was cool that even college students could be rewarded for doing the right thing.

Lately, we've had so many news stories about kids doing horrible things. It's enough to make one question what is happening to the generation, kwim? Now, this story gives me hope. Clearly these boys (yes, young adults) were raised well and know how to do what is right even when they aren't sure anyone is watching.

I hope that what we saw from these good kids wasn't so uncommon. According to the owner, iirc, she wanted to see that they were recognized for doing right. And that also speaks well of her, I think.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• woohooIt's about time athletes make the news for doing something GOOD!  And that was very generous of the store to thank them in that way.  Thanks for sharing an uplifting story.  They are not reported frequently enough.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2013