my son got second/third degree burn by boiling water

we were in hospitals for 5 days but saw the doctor only twice. Is that normal ?

Jane244

Asked by Jane244 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Health

• Is he healing up ok?
    If the answer is YES, does it matter how many times he saw the doctor?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• His wound looks different every day. The nurse told me that the change is good, but they couldn't give me more detailed information such as how long he needs to recover and whether he needs further surgery or get permanent scars. I hope that the doctor can tell me more. When I was hospitalized before, the doctor visited me every day. Maybe the burning doctors are different ?
    Jane244

Comment by Jane244 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• In my experience with hospitals, the drs have always come by at least once/day. I would have asked to speak with the dr each day.

Answer by missanc at 5:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• How large of an area?
    Where on his body?
    Any signs of infection? Any signs of skin restriction?
    Yes,3rd degree burns scar,but it depends on where and whether or not they heal properly

When my mom was 2,she got burned from just under her chin,to her belly button,buy a pot of boiling water. The scars are minimal amazingly,but she had alot of growing yet to do

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Is he still in the hospital?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Did you ever leave and go to the cafeteria or something, and maybe the doctor came in while you were gone the other times?

I would think you'd see the doctor at least once every day - as far as I know, they still do rounds, where they visit all their patients in the morning (or sometimes at night, and sometimes twice a day, depending on the area of the hospital you're in). You could always tell the nurse you want to see the doctor and ask her to call him and tell him to come in.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Thanks for all the answers. The doctor didn't come today either. The nurse said he was busy with operations. I stayed in the patient room all the time except for two 5-minutes left. But I always asked the nurse when I came back and she said the doctor didn't come.
    The burn covers most of the front part of the thigh. And there has been lots of blood for each dressing.
    Jane244

Comment by Jane244 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2013