Has anyone ever named their baby after you?

My sister just found she is having a girl and announced the middle name is named after me! I was pretty surprised and touched at first. But now I keep thinking, what if when I have another baby(and if its a girl) She'll expect me to do the same and name it after her? DH is already set on a girl's name(again IF we have a girl). How did/would you feel? Am I just being crazy?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 7:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Baby Names

• No, none of the people closest to me have had girls, we're apparently a strictly boys only family.
    While it was nice f her to name her baby after you, this doesn't mean you are obligated to name your baby after her. But as other options you can have her name as the babies middle name, or your sisters middle name as the babies middle name.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No, and I'm glad about that. I hated my name growing up, and still do sometimes.

It's unrealistic to expect someone to reciprocate in a situation like this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• We name for those who have passed on, not the living. So it would be strange and very nice if someone named a child after me. And if someone did, s/he would know me well enough to know that we would not reciprocate. It's just not our tradition, and nevermind the fact that we are completely done with having babies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No, I guess I'm not that special. LOL.

I agree with Ginger, it is unrealistic to expect someone to reciprocate in that way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Nope, and if someone stuck a baby with my first name in my honor, I'd slap the crap out of him or her. I hate it. But more to the point, feel blessed because your sister thinks highly of you, and not obligated to reciprocate.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Not that I know of.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No but my Mother named all of us after her brothers and sisters and some of our family members have given first or middle names of family members to their children.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No, no one has named a baby after me, that I know of. If someone had named their baby after me, I wouldn't feel the pressure to name my next child after them.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2013