In need of some reassurance i guess.. eeeek

so yesterday I was at the park with my three kiddos.. when my daughter (the almost 3 yr old) started to wonder off from the playground and head toward this wooded area other kids were sitting at. (not dangerous but far enough for me to not want her over there.. ) I called her and she proceeded to ignore me and since I had my son (almost 5) and my other daughter (7 months) with me I had to take them with me to go get her.. so im walking across this field.. and I grabbed my daughters hand to pull her back to park and when I turn around I tripped over a tree stump or root (not really sure as at that point I was falling with my baby in my arms!!) me and my two daughters all fell down. the baby fell flat on her back from about a foot high from the ground.

I hit my knees to the ground just a she fell from my arm. she didn't cry off the bat but looked at me startled and i scooped her back up and she started to cry. (only lasted a minute and she was back to normal) but i was very very shaken up over it..

i checked her over and not a scratch bump, not even red or bruised. im thankful that the fall was on the grass but still to have my baby fall at all scared the shit outta me!!!

i threw the kids in the stroller and raced back home and called my neighbor outside to look at the baby with me (my husband is away for training) she agreed and said the baby seemed fine and it didn't happen on concrete or anything.. last night the baby woke up to eat and went back to sleep.. which is nothing out of the ordinary for her. she isn't acting any different then normal and i kept checking her eyes for dilation lol

i just feel so guilty! makes me feel like a terrible mother! and to top it off there was a couple sitting there who watched the whole thing and just stared at me (didn't even ask if i was okay or if we needed help) people suck sometimes.

has anything like this ever happened to you? my other two have taken falls and tumbles but never as young as the baby.

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 10:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• It reassures me that you care enough to be worried about this. It shows how much you care for the little lives entrusted to you.
    I am sure the baby is just fine. On top of that she has a caring and loving mother watching out for her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No. DS and DD both had their fair share of accidents, but they had bumps and bruises to prove it. There were a few times that I worried about concussion, but they didn't act different and didn't have any of the signs of a concussion. There have been a few times when they fell and I felt bad for not somehow preventing it from happening, but that's life. We are fragile beings and sometimes clumsy. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure your 7 mo. old has no memory of it.

That does suck about the people that saw it happen. You would think they could have just called out to you to ask if you were alright. Maybe they thought asking would make you feel embarrassed? IDK. I still would have asked.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• if she's acting normally then she's ok. If you are really this worried you could put a call in to the doctor's office or a nurse hotline.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• sorry for the spelling errors.. i didn't proof read before posting.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Yes. I fell down a flight of stairs with my son in a sling when he was 2 mo old. I managed to hold him up over my head as I took the brunt of the fall through my right hip. He never even woke up! He was fine,I had a nasty bruise

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• i was talking to my cousin this morning about it and we began sharing stories of times her kids and mine all have gotten hurt. my son years ago was being babysat by a family friend and I guess he got away from her and ran to the basement stairs.. he tumbled down the stairs but was ok, again no broken bones no bumps or bruises.. and again I was concerned about concussion and spoke to doctor but he was okay.. lived to see another day. -- I forgot how awful the feeling is. to this day my poor boy is terrified of heights.

my cousins son broke his collar bone at a mcdonalds play place. he only fell off 1 step but I guess it was awkward enough to do damage. he didn't cry much until she took him home that night and her mom was babysitting.. and my aunt called her home early. they went to the ER and even then the drs couldn't find the issue. a day later she saw some bruising on his collar and thats when they found out.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• im not worried anymore. I truly don't think it was a bad fall.. and ive been watching her and she really does seem fine but I guess that worry-wart part in me freaks out.. and I just feel guilty.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• If you're that worried, call her doctor just to check in on it. But I think she'll be fine. As you said, it was on grass and she's acting normal, so I don't think anything's wrong.

When my oldest was a baby, I don't remember how old exactly but less than a year, I slipped on some wooden steps coming out of our house after it had rained. He was on my hip and I managed to pull him around in front of me. My back, butt, and hips were bruised so badly that if someone had seen me, they probably would have thought my then-husband was beating the hell out of me, but my son was fine - in fact, he was laughing, he thought it was a fun ride. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• i fell on the second to last step of my stair case once and went forward. the baby was in my left arm and I used my right forearm to take the fall. baby didn't even notice. but this time she hit the ground just enough to make me panic but my common sense and instincts are telling me its okay and I know she is fine but cant help that guilt.
    my doctors here don't have a number to call. its only an apt line. if there is an emergency they just instruct you to go to ER and figure it out.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• thank you ladies. its comforting knowing im not the only one out there whos had these stumbles and worries. you all really helped to make me feel normal and reminded me im only human.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2013