Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex husband is drawing food stamps and ssi on children who live with grandmother , amd not him

We are going thru divorce, kids decided to live with him, he decides to sign daughter up on disability and gets it and foodstamps, they neither one live with this illegal?

Answer Question
Deana R.

Asked by Deana R. at 10:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Is it his mother that they live with? You might have a hard time making this case if you were to report. He could be giving her the money to take care of the kids.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • Yes
    you cannot get assistance for children you do not support
    Will you be paying child support?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • I think you can report this, at the very least the disability should be going to the grandma, why are you content with allowing your children to live at the grandma's house and not with you.
    It doesn't matter if they picked to live with Dad, they are not, so why not call your lawyer and inform him what is going on? I am guessing that if you allow him to have full custoday you are going to be paying child support.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • If he is receiving food stamps and his children are not on anyone else's case, even if they do not live with him, they can be added to the case if he says they come to his house one or more days a week.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • Why dont your kids want to live with you?
    What is the child's disability?
    How long has this divorce been going on?

    Answer by feralxat at 11:03 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • yes, the grandmother needs to be drawing all benefits but she'd have to have custody. I'd be calling my attorney.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • I am confused by all of this as well. It is one thing if they wish to live with dad and you consent and they live with dad. It is another to consent and then they live elsewhere. Why are you consenting to this?
    Since the grandmother does not have custody and evidently the father does he can draw these benefits and give them to the grandmother or not. If he has custody he can allow then to spend time anywhere he chooses.
    Of course you can report it. But it sounds to me like you do not want him and you do not want the kids. You just want to hurt them any way you can.
    You will be paying child support so get ready.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

  • Report.
    Get everything in writing.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.