Would you call her bluff?

How would you handle a teen telling you are lazy for not taking them to a sport practice at 6 am? I have 2 times this week and my husband has 3 times. She made this comment because her friend that we picked up was 15 min. late and made my husband late for work. She thinks then... it's my responsibility to take them so he isn't late again. Well, I think the problem lies with her friend being late. This has happened before but not 15 min. She knows we feel it will let the team down if we don't take her or I would call her bluff. Maybe I should anyway??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• How do I handle people telling me that I am lazy? By letting them take care of their own issues without my help. I show them what lazy really looks like.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Your child, who received a ride 5 days in a row, is upset with you (and telling you what to do) because her friend made your husband late for work?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Personally I'd tell the friend what time you are picking her up and if not ready you're leaving. Let HER explain to the coach why she's late. It's not your job to be her taxi driver. A few times of being late and having to run laps might cure her of being late. Where is her parents in all the transportation?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I'd tell her to look up the definition of "Lazy" and get back with me

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The answer is her friend can find their own way to school, and then it's not your problem anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I would not pick up the friend again.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Call me lazy once, and be that disrespectful to me, and you can WALK your happy ass to practice. If you don't want to walk, ride your bike. If you don't want to ride, find someone else to pick you up.

That crap does NOT fly with me. As for the friend, if she's not ready to go when I get there, she had MAYBE 5 minutes to GET ready or I leave without her.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I think you need to take her to practice, if the friend isn't ready, then go without her, but IMHO rather than your husband being late to work, get up and take her to practice. I would call the other mother and say will be there at such and such time, so if Suzy isn't ready to go, we will leave without her. You can have your DD call Suzy when you are on your way, and maybe next week Suzy's mother can do the hauling around.
    I would be mad she called you lazy, but making her not be able to go would let the team down, she would most likely be staying at home this weekend for her mouth, but not missing sports.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Call her bluff on what? I'm confused. Are you asking what I'd say in response to her saying you're lazy? Or taking over driving her instead of your husband doing it? Or telling her where the real problem lies (the late friend)?

I'll just answer this way: If it were me, I would tell her that he wouldn't have been late if her friend had been on time, and that if she has a problem with the way we choose to handle driving her to practice, she can find another way to get there. I'd also tell her to tell the friend (and I'd call the friend's mom myself) exactly what time we will be there to pick her up. If she is not ready within one minute of our arrival, we're gone and she needs to find her own ride. Two times of that and she can find her own ride permanently.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I would call her bluff. If the friend isn't ready drive on.
    Why isn't the friend's mom taking them sometimes?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2013