Whole chicken recipes...

I do the same thing with a whole chicken each time... butterfly it open, season it inside and out, then grill or bake it. It comes out delicious, but I'm sick of doing the same ol' thing.

What do you all do with a whole chicken?

Was thinking beer can chicken, too... open to other ideas!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Do you have a clay pot? I put my chicken in the pot ,season as I like and treat it like a roast ,white and sweet potatoes in chunks ,onion slices ,carrots and sometimes fresh green beans.Cook in the oven....delicious and moist.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Slice a couple of lemons and insert in the cavity with a sprinkling of thyme. Roast whole (chicken in cold oven, set to hot - 400F/200C - takes about an hour).

Ooooor ... Insert a dozen unpeeled garlic cloves in the cavity. Bung it up with a few inches of French bread stick. Roast whole as above. The bread soaks up all the juices. A dozen is a minimum (garlic isn't very potent when it's cooked).

Or you could do a coq au vin ... or poulet au vinaigre ...

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Pretty much what you do. I have read that there are crock pot recipes for whole chicken. That might be a viable option.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2013

• i do combinations of what goldpandora suggested. sometimes i just rub the chicken down with EVOO or butter and sprinkle adobo, paprika and other seasonings, sometimes ill put lemon slices right on top and add red onions and garlic inside the cavity, sometimes i'll lay bacon slices over the chicken, etc. you could also put it in a crockpot and dump barbecue sauce over it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• It's been a long time since I cooked a whole chicken, since buying breasts or thighs is so convenient. Usually I just cut up the whole bird--not an easy task for me--and use the pieces in any chicken recipe there is. The possibilities are endless.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Olivia Newton-John's Lemon Chicken
    skill level
    Easy
    time
    60-120min
    servings
    4 to 6
    cost
    $
    Contributed by: Olivia Newton-John
    This fresh roasted chicken is great for a family meal. It comes together quickly and is a huge hit with even picky eaters.
    ingredients

3 pound Organic chicken
    1 Large lemon
    1 tablespoon Olive oil
    1 tablespoon Melted butter plus more to grease
    1 teaspoon black peppercorn plus more to season
    1 tablespoon salt plus more to season
    1 tablespoon fennel seeds
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 scallion

kitchenware

Roasting Pan w/Rack
    Chef's Knife
    Cutting Board
    Liquid Measuring Cup
    Measuring Cup (set)
    Measuring Spoons
    Mixing Bowl
    Mixing Spoon

steps ingredients per step instructions

Butter
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Butter
    Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a roasting pan and place a wire rack in the base of the pan.
    3 pound Organic chicken
    Salt and pepper
    Trim any excess fat from the chicken and discard the neck. Rinse the chicken (including the cavity) under cold running water and pat dry with paper towel. Season the cavity with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    1 teaspoon black peppercorn
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon fennel seeds
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    Combine black peppercorn, salt, fennel seeds, and lemon zest in a coffee grinder and grind into a rub.
    1 Large lemon
    1 tablespoon Olive oil
    1 tablespoon Melted butter
    1 scallion
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Boil it, take it off the bone, and make chicken and dumplings--one of my family's favorites!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Have you tried chicken on a can?
    Take a can of beer and empty half of it (drink it!). I add lemon juice, salt and pepper to the beer, but you can add anything from herbs to hot sauce. Marinate the chicken with your favorite rub. Sit it on top of the can so it stays up. Roast it in the oven until the skin is crispy and the chicken is fully cooked.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2013