Divorce rate curiousity

I went and got my google on and all the facts varied like crazy. Does anyone know the current statistic? When DH and I made it official in 2003 I think people were saying almost 50% ... but now I am hearing new stuff about 7-10 years is "prime divorce time" !

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• Ever heard of the 7 year itch? I was with my ex for 12 years but wish I had left sooner - wasted time!

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Here's some info based on official statistics (up to and including 2011)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/mardiv.htm

It isn't nearly as dramatic as people would have you believe!

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The last I heard was the one that was around 50%. I have no idea how current that is, though. I would go with goldpandora's link, though, or some other government type site. Anything else (unless it's a university or something like that) is just too unreliable for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Some of the problem with the divorce rate statistics are that so many young people are simply living together and not getting married so they don't show up on that statistic when the split after 5 or 10 years or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Age at marriage for those who divorce in America (2011)

Age

Women

Men

Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
    20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
    25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
    30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
    35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

•The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
    •The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
    •The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

I just found this online somewhere lol also says 66% are childless marriages. which I guess sounds right, even though kids can add stress people stick around longer "for the kids"
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I do know the rate of divorce increases in relation to the number of times you've been married.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I don't have a source, but I read somewhere online recently--so take it for what it's worth--that seven to ten years in is a bit of a vulnerable time for marriages, statistically, and so is 25 to 30 years in. Which makes sense, since that's the age when a lot of people will have empty nests and move on because the kids are grown, or go through midlife criss and wonder what they missed by being married for so long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I think it's more to do with crisis than duration of time.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2013