Little Miss Perfect: Do you think that child beauty pageants sexualize young children or do you think they are harmless?

I was watching this show on TLC I think called Little Miss Perfect and I was completely disgusted! This mother had her nine year-old daughter dressed up like Marilyn Monroe prancing around in this gown with a plunging neckline and platinum blonde bleached out hair. I think these pageants are just disgusting. How can these parents subject their daughters to this twisted life style? Sometimes the siblings are even sitting there getting neglected while the mothers dote over these girls. I think it's sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They should be illegal and considered child porn.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think it disgusting and degrading and setting those poor little girls up for a lifetime of misery, insecurity anorexia and anything else that goes along with all that beauty crap. and i think its horribly selfish on the parents part. Theyre fulfilling some pathetic fantasy they had and never got to live thru.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Well, remember Jon Benet?
    Anonymous

• OMG, I absolutely hate this show! I even hate that my over developed 12 yr old niece feels the need to show her cleavage even when playing kickball with the neighborhood kids.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah I think it's ridiculous.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i dont like it. they are too young. there minds are so young and what do you think thats gong to make them think when they get older? it scares me kind of bc you dont know what kind of stuff they could get into as they get older bc there parents did it to them so young.. IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I completely agree. I mean, look at Jean Benet Ramsey.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh my god, I think the same way. I mean, it literally makes me want to puke when I see a 4 year old with more makeup on than me (and I love makeup!) and bleached out hair and clothes that I would wear, being 21 years old! It really is sad.
    My daughter is 2 and yeah, she see's me do my makeup and wants to wear lip gloss and use my blush brush. But lord, I wouldn't leave my house with her having makeup on, let alone on a stage to be judged! Those beauty pageant shows, IMO, are perverse!!
    And I don't mean to judge or stereotype but more than 1/2 the time the mothers are ugly as sin and obviously living their "dreams" through their kids!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 1:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2009