What do you know about skin cancer?

My hubby came home from the doctors and told me one of his moles is cancer, the Doc will surgical remove it in a few days. Should I be very worried my DH didn't seem concerned. And I really don't know much about this type of cancer. Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing and what are your story's?

pinkparcel

Asked by pinkparcel at 12:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Health

• I just had a couple mole things ( wasn't sure what they were removed a couple days ago.) its good that your dh goes and gets checked though! I just heard on the news that majority of people are ok after having melanoma but out of men and women its usually men who have fatal cases because they wait it out until it gets really bad. so kudos to your husband for going.. (or kudos to you if you made him lol )

im still waiting on the biopsy results but im not overly worried. I have had two friends have skin cancer. one just had a small spot removed off her back.. the other had a much harsher case. she had to have about 5 surgeries removed skin from her arm and shoulder. each time theyd take some and then test to see if they got it all and every test would come back positive and shed have to go again. its gone now though. people forget that your skin is a organ!! needs to be taken care of as well!! good luck to u and dh
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• There are multiple types of skin cancer and some are more threatening than others. You really have to have more information to make decisions. My sister was just diagnosed with a pre-cancerous lesion (Proliferative verrucous leukoplakia) in her mouth that is very serious, My mother just had "squisih", her term, Squamous-cell carcinoma growth removed, not serious if detected early and removed. I just had one removed from my hand (pre-cancerous) and another biopsied (non-malignant). The moral of the story is Inform yourself.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• My uncle had skin cancer. What I learned is that if it's caught early and it hasn't gotten past the skin, it's often very treatable. If it isn't caught and it goes into the blood or the lymph system, you have much bigger problems. Hopefully your husband will just go through a minor removal procedure and that will be the end of it. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• What type of Cancer does the Dr. think it is before removal? It depends on how big it is. If it is Melanoma & it is larger than the diameter of an eraser on a pencil then they proceed to travel inside & down into the skin tissue. So see how invasive it is & they will take it from there. I had a small Melanoma removed from my shoulder when I was in my teens & no issues, Recently I had Carcinoma on my lower eyelid rim that was barely noticeable but traveled inside down the cheek. I went to 3 Dr.s before one would do a biopsy after I basically forced him too (an Eye Surgeon) & it was Carcinoma. I had it removed by a technique called MOHS where they slowly remove layers of skin & examine them under a microscope for cancer cells. It too 5 hours and a lot of my skin was removed. I the went the next day for reconstructive surgery. You can barely see where I had the surgery done a year ago. I wish the best for your DH.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• There are many different types.
    My mom had a spot on her face that was removed and no further problems. In fact, it was of such little worry to her she left the message on my machine. Didn't even tell me face to face.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No not really. Did the doctor do a scraping of the tissue to determine cancer or does he just suspect cancer?
    My DB had three bumps removed from his forehead many years ago. He lived many years after that
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• So they already biopsied the mole? Did they do any other tests?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Thank you for your answers, according to my husband the doc didn't say much just that he will have this particular mole remover surgically. I so-pose they will test it afterwards. I should have went with him I would have asked a million questions! My DH just takes things at face value and goes with the flow lol

pinkparcel

Comment by pinkparcel (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The most common skin cancer is Basal cell carcinoma, which is slow growing thus is rarely fatal.
    Here's a link that is a good resource for info on skin cancer.
    http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• He needs to ask what kind of cancer. Both of my inlaws, my grandmother and my stepdad have had cancerous moles and spots removed. But if the dr is just going to remove it in office and then just watch, no cause for alarm.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2013