School Nurse

My daughter uses an inhaler to control her mild to moderate asthma. At the beginning of the term, I gave a rescue inhaler to the school nurse, along with the prescription from the doctor and a signed authorization saying that I consented for the nurse to administer the medication to my daughter as necessary.

My daughter's asthma has been kicked up this week, probably because our condos are being painted and the fumes trigger her coughing. So yesterday, I got a call from the school helth clinic, and it was the nurse asking if she should administer the inhaler. I said yes, of course, that's why I had sent one to school, to be used as needed. I signed an authorization form. But she said she had to call and ask, and she wanted me to authorize the use of the inhaler every day for the next week. I did, but I don't know if the medication will be necessary for that long because my daughter's coughing may subside. It's really a day-to-day thing.

So. If I sent in the inhaler and authorized its use as needed, why am I being called to consent to each use? What if I'm not home? Why can't the nurse exercise her professional judgment and give the medication as needed? Aren't her hands tied, professionally, if she has to call and ask me each time? Why did I sign the blanket authorization then? I would be perfectly willing to let the nurse do her job. That's what she's there for. I'm really confused by all of this.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Kids' Health

• " It doesn't take a nursing degree to know when a kid is having breathing trouble. I should be able to trust that my daughter will get her inhaler when she needs it; otherwise, I CAN't ever get too far from the phone during the school day, in case the nurse needs to call and get my okay. It seems insane to me."

EXACTLY why you need to talk to the head nurse for the district... express this concern!! As someone who works in a high school, closely with the school nurse I find this situation unacceptable!! These nurse are making good money as far as the school system is concerned. If they are not willing to accept responsibility for following Dr orders then they should NOT be doing the job.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Call and speak to the head nurse for the district and ask these questions!! Ask to go in and meet with her and the school nurse so you are all on the same page as to what exactly "as needed" means for your DD!!! She should be able to follow the doctors orders without calling you first each time. It's important for her to call you after so you know it was done... but NOT necessary for her to call you before.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I'd be worried about the fact that one of these days she couldn't get a hold of you,and your kid is standing there having a hard time breathing,and the nurse doesn't do anything.
    That's a weird policy.
    i'd suggest calling and talking to the nurse,and if that gets you nowhere,the principal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• beats me....you'd think that she'd have enough sense to know when to use it but then again, my dd's school nurse called me last year saying my dd had pink eye when she really had horrible allergies. I wouldn't trust my dogs to be in her care, let alone my child. As a healthcare professional myself, I was highly offended when she told me I was wrong about the pink eye and need to take dd to the doctor. Needless to say, I was right and a few hours after her Claritin, dd was fine...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Our schools have CNA's(with a little extra training,but not quite LPN quality) and the city has one RN that oversees stuff. When my son was in kindergarten,I got a frantic call from the school that they discovered my son had MRSA. It was ECZEMA,for crying out loud,but I was forced to take him to the pedi,or they wouldn't allow him back in school. Yeah,that nurse was a moron. I think I would have noticed MRSA on my kid's leg...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• i would want to know after the fact for sure but id call and tell them again that the heads up each time is not needed. they are probably just trying to be careful and be cautious. im sure there are parents who COMPLAIN( had to sensor myself) about not being informed before hand lol
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 2:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I doubt that she wouldn't use it if she deemed it needed to be used, I would call her and say (and also to make sure) that as a nurse you trust her judgement to make the call, and rather than trying to get a hold of you, please give your child the meds if she feels it is needed.
    So here is something that I just learned, our school nurse, isn't an actual nurse, she is a CNA, I got a call about my kid griping about a headache, and she had to call to make sure (even thought I signed the form) it was okay to give him a tylenol. This is school policy, but this wasn't an urgent situation.
    Sorry, I gave you a story, LOL! :)
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Well, you see, there are some parents who are complete asses and question the nurses judgement on everything. I have the classroom next to the nurse's office and I talk to her a lot so I know what she goes through. She deals with a lot of parents who demand to be consulted on these things even when the parents send in a script. Although there are parents that, like you, don't mind, she'd rather call and cover her butt on all cases. Our nurse is an RN.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 5:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I think it's a courtesy call more than anything else. I assume she won't have to administer the inhaler for your Daughter if she doesn't ask to go to the Nurse or her Teacher doesn't think she is acting like she needs it & sends her to the Nurse. My Son goes to the Nurse at least once a week for all sorts of things from a paper cut to him hitting his head. The Nurse called me once because he poked himself in the eye with his own finger & it was very red. She rinsed his eye & let him rest in her office for a while. She called me to tell me what happened so when he got off the bus & his eye was still red I wouldn't be worried. BUT! Definitely make sure the School has your Cell phone & your SO's as well in case of emergency.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

That's what I'm thinking. It doesn't take a nursing degree to know when a kid is having breathing trouble. I should be able to trust that my daughter will get her inhaler when she needs it; otherwise, I CAN't ever get too far from the phone during the school day, in case the nurse needs to call and get my okay. It seems insane to me.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2013