How to make my 20 month old son speak? Please help .

My 20 month old son babbles a lot but doesn't speak. His hearing is all right . He also started speaking certain words. but now it seems he doesn't wish to speak.He understands everything like if i say give this cup to daddy he will certainly do it, if i say give me your ball he will throw it and sometimes say "thow" . One thing more, When he was 14 months old he had a febrile seizure. Can this be any reason of his not speaking. Also we speak two languages , Can he get confused in that .

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you might need an MRI to see if he has any damage, why don't you ask him "What is this?" and hold up a ball, some kids are just late talkers, but I would speak to his doctor about this.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Have you spoken to his doctor?
    You encourage a child to speak by saying thing like do you want a drink? If he nods or reaches hold the cup and say can you say cup?
    A little frustration is fine. But do not over do.
    You can not MAKE someone speak but you can help them to understand that they do not automatically get something. You need to ask for it.
    If there does happen to be a neurological cause then I would listen to the experts and ask them your questions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Two languages often results in a child talking a little later. I always recommend a developmental evaluation by early intervention (google it for your area). They will do it for free and then if there is a delay they will offer free or very low cost therapy in whatever specific area he/she had trouble with until they catch up.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Sorry for a 2nd post - I have read that if parents speak 2 languages, then each parent should always talk to the child in only one language (like dad always speaks spanish to him and mom always speaks english, or vice versa) to help him learn to differentiate the two. It wasn't an issue for me so I didn't look into it much but there are resources available.

Answer by missanc at 4:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• First make sure he gets a Good check up and all is healthy. Je could just be a behind or need some speech therapy down the line. All babies learn at different rates so try not stress over it! My son was a late speaker as well but now I can hardly keep him quiet lol and I actually having him evaluate fr speech just to see if he qualifies for a little extra help while he's still young. Just keep talkin to him and don't let him get away with grunting. He understands but won't speak if your not making him follow through
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 4:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Ask your doctor, but I doubt if there's much concern at only twenty months old. Kids learn to speak at different rates. If there are two languages spoken in the home, sometimes it can cause a child to know only about half the number of words in each language, but he will still know an average number of words, just split between the two languages.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The seizure may play a part, but I don't think so.

The fact that your house is bilingual is my best guess. Children that are raised in a bilingual house DO speak later that their peers that are raised in a single language household.

I was working in a daycare when my kids were smaller, there was one little boy, 4 years old, that had just started speaking in the previous year or so. He was fluent in all 4 languages spoken in the house. He was one amazingly smart little boy. He's 10 or 11 now, maybe 12.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I would not be concerned about him just yet. Children talk at all different ages, just like they do everything else at all different ages. One of my grandsons just turned 3, and he has just begun to talk. We believe the reason he didn't talk sooner was because his older brother talked for him. My mom said the same thing about me and my younger sister. If he can get what he wants in some other way, why bother having to speak and ask for it!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• My oldest son who is now 3 1/2 didn't start talking until after his 2nd birthday. I was SO concerned about him not speaking. He hardly said any words at all. I came on here and other moms put my mind at ease. He just wasn't ready to talk though. I am a stay at home mom and apparently I was speaking for him so he never felt the need to speak for himself. Shortly after he turned 2 he just took off talking and now you would never know that it took him so long to talk because he talks at the same level as other kids his age. I am sure that speaking two different languages contributes to him not talking right away as well.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2013

• Have you thought about teaching sign language? It helps with speech and will give him words until he knows how to speak them. You can get flash cards/dvds and books. Learn a few and then teach them to your son. You can make it a game. I can help you more with me if you want to add me as a friend feel free. Just send me a message with it so I know it's you.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2013