Water Bottles in School

I've been impressed that my daughter's kindergarten teacher has encouraged each child to bring a water bottle and keep it for drinks throughout the day. Does your school do this? The only stipulation Is not to put ice in it, which makes a mess as it melts and condenses, and the bottle has to have a sports cap to cut down on spills. But it saves the kids drinking from germy water fountans and encourages them to stay hydrated, so I think it's a good step.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I send my Son with two. One in his lunch bag & one in the pocket of his backpack to keep on his desk during the day.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The schools we've been at have always encouraged kids to bring in water bottles. In fact water bottles were on the school supply list this year. They have to be clear though.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Yep, he was actually required to bring a water bottle everyday.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Oh don't I wish! They are not allowed to bring anything to drink, even when you pack their lunch, I am guessing they are worried someone might make a "bomb" out of a water bottle, or sneak in liquor? The whole think is silly both my kids have issues with milk, and that is the only option, other than a cup of water at lunch.
    I did just get a note that said they may bring a unopened pouch like Capri Sun if they pack a lunch, LOL!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Yes when they were in elementary school, but not now in middle

Answer by missanc at 5:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I got permission from my dau's teachers to do this last year b/c of her allergies. (scratchy throat even w/ meds) This year, all students are allowed to do this. She is in a K-8 school, so I know we'll be able to do this at least until high school. It just makes sense to let them do this.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Ours did when mine were in school. It also keeps them in their seats and focused rather than raising their hand to get a drink.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• The elementary school here allowed water bottles in classrooms, regardless of the temperature of the bottle.

The middle school however leaves it up to the individual teacher, and a water bottle during PE is a must.

No clue about the high school level, we haven't reached that stage yet.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• yep...DD just told me about it Wed. she was coming home everyday complaining about how thristy she was and asked "why cant i have a water bottle like everyone else?" gees, how was i supposed to know that was allowed haha. they have to keep them in their cubbies, but from the sounds of it they are always moving around, so im sure she's drinking from it often. its actually a great idea, and i wished they had let me do that when i was a kid!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2013