Soccer delimia. Wwyd?

My dd is 6. She's played soccer the past 2 seasons, I signed her up just this past week to play this year. She's over the moon excited.

I get a call today from her new coach, he's saying not enough girls in her age group signed up so her team this year will be co-Ed. The problem is the league we play against this season does not do co -Ed teams. Therefore her team will be required to play against all boys each game.

Dd is tiny. She weights 38 lbs and is about 45 inches tall. Tiny. I'm worried these much bigger boys are going to hurt her. She played a scrimage last against the boys and got hurt badly.

Her father agrees with me also saying it won't be fun. Her team won't send a chance against 6 and 7 yr old all boy teams. I talked to her exlaining our fears. She is adamant she wants to play. So, if this was your child would you let them play? Am I just being a nervous nelly?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 5:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wow. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable pitting my daughter, who is about the same size as yours although she's a year younger, against a team of boys. Would she be willing to try a differet sport? Is there any other team she can play on?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I'd let her play.

At 6 years old, they should still be playing 3-4 a side. I think you're overreacting just a bit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I would not let her play. Tell her it's too dangerous, and that she can select something else to do this year. Maybe next year, more girls will sign up. Explain to her it's only a matter of her safety, but the answer is no.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• No other team for her age group which is U7. The only other sport is t-t ball but her evil sister in law is the coach. Lol. She loves soccer. Im telling you the kid practices with her dad and friends daily. It's like her thing.

I had already decided to pull her and ask for my 50 bucks back, until I sat her own and discussed it. She got really upset. Cried, begged, etc. Said she didn't care who she plays against.

Another factor is the large quantity of homework this year. She has 2 hours each night of homework. ( Lord help me) I hope she doesn't fall behind academically. In addition the games are an hour away one direction each week and they start at 8 am. Ugh! But, I've done it before because she loves it.

I really don't know what to do,.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• There are 4 kids plus a defender at the goal.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• I would let her play. My son's teams have always been coed so far and they all do well. My son is the same size as your daughter...granted he's a boy but that doesn't make him any tougher.

Like others said they should still only be 3-4 per side so it isn't too bad.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• My DD played tackle football.
    The only girl in her age group for several years.
    She finally stopped when she couldn't take them down any more.
    And yes, she is on the smaller side- she made up for it by being really fast.

I say, let her try. You never know, she may surprise you...Here she is #10

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Oh my gravy she looks so tiny in comparison! Wow.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a fear monger when it comes to her. I have to stop it too. She is my miracle baby. It took 6 miscarriages and a stillbirth at 7 months before her. And them I had preecampcia so I had to be induced 5 weeks early. We both early died. So....I'm not a helicopter parent, but I'm overly cautious.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• Nearly not early. Dang autocorrect. Lol.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2013

• My kids went to a very small school so all sports until high school were co ed. Girls played every sport with the boys and were allowed to pay pee wee football and wrestling if they wanted. I do not remember a girl ever getting hurt and when they went to regular sports at the high school level, they were very tough athletes!!! You are only as good as who you play against and those girls were fierce. They were used to trying harder in practice so they could have game time. I think your dd will be fine and I'd let her play
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2013