Has your teen ever developed migranes from insomnia?

If so, have you been able to find anything natural to help your teen get some sleep?

cmarielin

Asked by cmarielin at 11:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Health

• I don't have a teen but...

Yes, yes, yes! Insomnia can cause migraines, and migraines can perpetuate insomnia. I know this firsthand because I have been insomniac ever since I was a small child, and suffered bouts of severe migraines throughout my childhood, into the teen years, and even now. Nothing natural has ever worked for me, though. You could try benadryl. However, I am one of the unfortuntes who cannot use benadryl because it hypes me up even more. Melantonin and valerian roots are some herbal remedies. They don't work for me. But some swear by it. I have been using Ambien and prescription sleep aids ever since I was in high school. It's the only thing that works. I don't recommend it unless nothing else works.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Exercise and rountine does help, though. Warm (not hot!) lavender bath an hour before bed. No heavy meals. No t.v. or computer in the bedroom. Books/notebook journals/sketchbooks are more ideal. Keep the bedroom cool. Remove/turn away any clocks because it is just a reminder of how much sleep you're losing and causes anxiety. If the migraine is troublesome, try tylenol p.m. or advil p.m. (which has benadryl stuff in it) or if it is that severe, you might want to visit the e.r. or call the doctor for a prescription, which will both help the pain and sleep. Don't make a habit of this though and monitor the medication use closely if you decide to do this (same goes with Ambien). I have had to visit the E.R. because of migraines/insomnia. But honestly, rountine does help. It does take practice and time. I hope this helps... at least a little bit! I know how awful it can be.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• One last thing... are you sure your child isn't suffering from depression? Has he/she always had this problem or is this a new thing? My brother suffered from migraines when he hit puberty, and it went away. Mine worsens when I am nearing the time of the month (hormones), or going through a rough patch in life (depression). Ok! I'm done.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Well, it's kind of a new thing. He's been getting dizzy when he stands up quickly, spending a lot of time lying down because of the pain... You know, he is really growing like crazy these days. Could it be his growth spurt? I know his hormones are kicking in by the 'stache he's growing lately...
    cmarielin

Answer by cmarielin at 7:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• absolutely!!! Have been getting mirgraines for about 25 years. Muscualr, vascular and sleep derevition and hormonal can all be causes. I get them from all. lucky me!
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009